2011 MBP Screen not bright enough anymore?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lcl, Feb 27, 2011.

1. lcl, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

lcl macrumors newbie

I bought the mid-2010 MBP back in christmas and everything was great! As many of us know the 2011 MBP just came out, and yes I bought it yesterday. I still have both MBPs. However I have noticed the the 2011's brightness is different. When I have both of them side by side and with the brightness level all the way up, the 2010 is much brighter. When comparing them at the same time, I'm also have them at the same settings. I have unchecked the ambient sensor so that it does not interfere. Anyone have any idea, what is going on? Do you think this is the new way the macbook pro is, or the screen may be faulty??

2. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Apple use more than one screen supplier for the same part, so you may just be seeing a different manufacturer panel.

3. HBOC macrumors 68020

coming from a early 08' MBP, the screen on the new 15" is beautiful! I had the Matte screen, dunno if that made a difference, but it was NOT LED like this one!

4. Jaimi macrumors regular

Did you switch from Glossy to Matte? That won't be as bright.

5. HBOC macrumors 68020

me? I switched from Matte to glossy. I don't think they use matte anymore?

6. lcl thread starter macrumors newbie

the label in the boxes of both (2010 and 2011 MBP) say: "13.3 in (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display; 1280 by 800 pixels"

7. dnkbro macrumors regular

8. lcl thread starter macrumors newbie

9. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

My 13" is super bright, noticeably a better screen than I had on my 13" 2010. Forgot what I had though but Ihave the 9CC3 screen and it's amazing. Just put on a profile, even better!!

10. lcl thread starter macrumors newbie

what do you mean by 9CC3 screen?

11. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

oh I guess it's the model # or part #. They vary between macs and mine seems to be pretty good.

12. lcl thread starter macrumors newbie

where did you find the part # or model # so that I can compare if i have the same

13. lcl thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been doing research, and it looks that the brightness difference might be due to the 2011 MBP having intel HD Graphics 3000 instead of NVIDA GeForce 320M in the 2010 MBP. Anyone agree?

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Disagree. the video card has nothing to do with screen brightness. If Apple lowered both the screen brightness, and battery life, these new CPU's must be incredibly power hungry.

15. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

system preference, displays --> color tab --> click open profile --> in the new window scroll down all the way, should be 17 and under model you'll read.

16. lcl thread starter macrumors newbie

Did it, mine says "#17 : Manufacturer: 00000610 ; Model:00009CCB ; Serial No: 00000000; Manufacture Date: C581B800"

What does this mean?? Thanks by the way for all your help!

17. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

I would think that we would be seeing more posts detailing this if it was indeed a general trend.

Its going to be interesting to see over the next few days if we get more info on this.

18. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

This isn't new. I see this kind of problem posted every refresh. The best explanation is Post #2 from Adidas Addict. You can google this. :apple:

19. lcl thread starter macrumors newbie

I think you are right, I've been doing some research and it looks that my mid-2010 MBP is using an LG/Phillips screen and my 2011 MBP is using an Au Optronics screen. Apparently many people would agree that the LG/Phillips screen are the best apple is using, and that might just be why I like the LG/Phillips compared with the Au Optronics, and even samsung which people say is the worst.

If anyone wants to find out what screen manufacture you have you can do the following:

go to applications--->utilities---->terminal. Then you want to type in the following: "ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6" That would give you your screen manufacturer model and then you can just google it and find out what it is. I've noticed that if that number starts with; LP is an LG/ phillips, LTN is a Samsung (which is the worst), B is an Au Optronics; and N is a Chi Mei.

So there it is, see it for yourself.

As far for me I am taking my MBP to apple care and see if they can replace it.
    I'll keep you posted if anyone cares!

20. seatown macrumors newbie

Yep everyone has been saying 9CC3 is the cream of the crop. BTW, 9CC3 is still being used for 2011s just gotta get lucky!

21. revenire macrumors member

revenire

9CCD too. Both are LG Phillips.

22. xjosh macrumors regular

23. mark28 macrumors 68000

This is very false. The Anti-glare screen is actually brighter than the glossy.

I took my anti-glare MBP to an Apple store to have something checked out. I put next to the standard glossy models in the store and they were much darker than my screen.

All Apple employees noticed the same when they compared my screen to the standard glossy ones. ;)

24. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Quite a few reviews out in the wild say the same.

25. dblissmn macrumors regular

Yes, no question the antiglare is brighter. That was a big factor in my decision to buy it. This is a really bright laptop display — the sort where you actually want to have it at half brightness in a typical room, as opposed to the sort where the only time you have it at less than full brightness is if you're desperate for battery power. I found the standard display to be like peering through a fishbowl or something. If they're going to make that glare glass thing fly in the long run they're going to have to do some kind of lamination of the glass to the LCD like with the iPhone. And then they won't be charging you extra for antiglare, they'll be charging extra for the glossy.