Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zazaza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
I'm about to purchase a new 15 MBP and I'm wondering if any users who have the same machine and opted to have the apple 128gb SSD installed would care to share their impressions.

any info would be greatly appreciated
thank you

rpsmithii

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2010
Denver, CO
I have the 15" and wish I had gotten the SSD - for $100 more it is a steal. I have since put in a Samsung SSD 6G but would have been very happy to have it as part of the original purchase even though the one apple uses only is a 3GB bus model - I do not think I would have noticed the difference

Heavertron

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2011
UK
I have one. Bullet proof reliable, trim support without hacks. Great real-world performance. Worth the money in my opinion.

Acejam2k

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
I have one. Bullet proof reliable, trim support without hacks. Great real-world performance. Worth the money in my opinion.

Can you post some disk speed benchmarks of your Apple branded SSD? Black Magic speed test is available for free in the Mac App Store.

rolytee

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
Far East
Don't Worry... It's Fast Enough...

I've got a late 2011 Macbook Pro 13 2.8 i7 running a standard Apple 128Gb SSD... no problems at all so far. After 3 HDD failures in 2011 and all of that pain attached to that, I've decided to avoid rotational media - call it my New Year resolution. I even use an external OWC Elite Al-Pro SSD drive for additional storage!

Here are my SSD speedtest results...

Attachments

• DiskSpeedTest.png
    DiskSpeedTest.png
    365.9 KB · Views: 71

VesicpP

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
I have a late 2011 15" MBP (about a month old). I installed a 240GB 6G SSD from OWC. It rocks. SO fast. Like others have said, I'll never go back to regular HDs for the OS and apps.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I wouldn't give 2 cents for Apple's slow and overpriced SSD options. I've yet to see one of theirs outperform the myriad of other 3rd party options. Plus other SSD's are cheaper and relatively easy to install. May as well put some cheap RAM in it too while it's open.

The only reason to use Apple's SSD offering would be for the warranty. It would be covered under AppleCare and you wouldn't have to deal with another manufacturer should problems arise.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
IMHO, it's a great deal for just $100 more, as long as you don't need more than 128GB.
I have a 2010 MacBook Pro with the 128GB and a 2011 with 750GB 7200RPM and the speed difference still amazes me daily. I can have the computer with the SSD booted, playing an iTunes song, and photoshop open by the time the regular HDD equipped computer reaches the desktop.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
I got the 128 GB in my 15'' MBP. It's awesome compared to a normal HD. I've only had it a couple of weeks, so I can't say much about the reliability, but I've yet to see a report of a failure.

Apple SSD = reliability, full support, and Apple warranty

Speed is about 200/200 read/write. It's as good as it can get with SATA II.

zazaza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
thanks so much for the feedback, guys

I'm coming from a 2.2ghz core 2 MBP with a 120gb drive, so I've learned to work with limited space.

I test drove the SSD on a friends Air and couldn't believe how fast it was.

and

It turns out with my student discount its even less ($90),

so I went with the SSD.

I'm stoked.

Sonhascome

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2010
Maryland
I got a 128gb vertex 3 and have been so happy. I never understood all the ssd hype til i got one, very happy. definitely worth the 100

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I have an 80gb Intel x25-m ssd (yes, an "old" ssd). But even though it's a generation behind the drives you guys are using, it's still pretty quick. And of course it's miles better than a spinning hdd.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Congrats on the decision to go with the SSD - you won't regret it. Ever since I got the Rev A Air with the SSD option I've been unable to go back; best advancement in computing in as long as I can remember in terms of how it affects day to day usability.

I went with the 512GB one, because I'm crazy. But I love it. I love the entire machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.