2011 MBP(SSD) - what does it weigh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amcneil, Mar 11, 2011.

1. amcneil macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if there is a significant weight difference between the 2011 13" MBP with the stock 320 GB HD, and the weight of the same model with the SSD upgrade?

I am considering portability as a major factor for an upcoming purchase, and am deciding between the 13" MBP (w/SSD) and 13" MBA. Will upgrading to SSD shed any significant amount of weight from the listed 4.5 lbs.

It seems that all of the comparisons/reviews only discuss the entry level MBP w/ the standard 320 GB Serial ATA HD. There's not a whole lot of discussion with the SSD upgrade - other than to acknowledge the increase in overall speed.

Any insight is appreciated.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I bought the stock 2011 13" MBP with 320GB drive like you have and just replaced the drive with a Intel 510 120GB SSD drive. During the swap I obviously held both drives. The SSD is slightly lighter, but not a lot. I think most of the weight of your MBP is the battery and screen/case components and you would be hard pressed to notice the slight reduction in weight from swapping to an SSD. That said, the performance difference with an SSD is amazing. I could never go back to a HD based storage.

3. Dgail macrumors regular

Dgail

2011 13"

As mentioned in a different thread, I upgraded mine (basic) with the 128gb SSD. So can I now call it the MacBook Pair? Or Pear?

I would be interested in any "head to head" comparisons with the HD version. Am still waiting, expect to see it sometime next week.

4. amcneil thread starter macrumors newbie

Great. It sounds like there won't be much of a difference, but I'd still be interested to see what the weight is. If the difference causes say, reduction by 1/2 pound, it would bring the MB Pear (I like that) within a pound of the MBA.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't think the difference was anywhere near half a pound. The SSD might have been a two or three ounces lighter.

6. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

7. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I have the stock 128 GB SSD and an Intel X25-M SSD. The stock SSD is SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than the Intel. It feels barely heavier than a stack of post-it notes. It's ridiculous.