2011 MBP, text blur and color flash when scrolling

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xxfury2xx, Mar 6, 2011.

1. xxfury2xx macrumors member

I just got my 15" MBP a few days ago and am noticing some possible issues with the screen.

The first issue is that text blurs quite a bit when scrolling with the trackpad or using the scroll bar.

The other issue is that some colors will flash to a more saturated point when scrolling with the trackpad or the scroll bar. A great example would be this very website's homepage. The red bars that contain the headlines tend to flash and turn to some other level of red.

Neither one of these issues shows up when I use the arrow keys. It also happens on both Firefox and Safari.

Does this means I have some bigger issue with my computer's screen, or is this normal? It's a bit concerning since the computer I was using last (Acer Aspire) never exhibited any of these issues.

2. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

Just noticed my 17in does this also. Wonder if others experience the same and is it normal...

3. xxfury2xx thread starter macrumors member

Could some of you other new MBP owners out there please let me know if this is happening to you? I don't want to make a rather lengthy drive to the Apple store just to discover that this is normal.

4. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

my 17 does this also. This is my first mac and first laptop so I just assumed it was normal. I can't read/skim while scrolling like i can on my old pc desktops. the black text on this forum looks blue, bold and blurry when scrolling.

5. xxfury2xx thread starter macrumors member

Could some more of you out there let me know if you're seeing these issues? I would greatly appreciate it.

6. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

My 2011 15" doesn't do this when scrolling. It seems to have a really dark gamma point, and I wouldn't have a problem with it... if it didn't make my iTunes artwork look dark and gloomy. It seems to be way oversaturated.

7. xxfury2xx thread starter macrumors member

I guess I'm gonna go into the Apple store to check out all of the macbooks they have on display and see if they have this issue. It sucks to drive all the way out to one, but I have to put my mind at ease.

8. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Buyer's regret eh?

All Mac laptops do that. Blur when scrolling with trackpad. I noticed it years ago.

Arrow keys don't do the analog smooth scrolling. They just skip a few lines at a time.

You are worrying about nothing. Your laptop is fine.

9. Cory Bauer macrumors 6502a

I've seen the same thing on two different 2010 models as well, and both of those computers also had a very blue/purple cast to the screen that's extremely inaccurate. This is not normal for a Macbook Pro, as my late-2008 MacBook Pro experiences none of these issues. If I bought a new laptop and it looked like that I'd ask that the screen be replaced.

10. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

It's to do with the poor refresh rates in all screens in Apple devices.

The reason you see the difference between scrolling using trackpad and arrow keys is down to the fact that the latter doesnt involve any motion, and is basically just a quick nudge.

Only way to eliminate it is to get an external monitor suited to gaming.

Its the same reason that you'll always see a blurry trail behind your mouse when you move it, and also why fps games are impossible to play competitively on any Mac without a decent low latency external screen.

11. Cory Bauer macrumors 6502a

What he's witnessing is not typical LCD motion blur; it's something much worse.

12. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

My new 2011 mac does this, I would say it's normal.

13. xxfury2xx thread starter macrumors member

Definitely not regretting buying the machine. I just want to make sure I didn't get a lemon after paying so much.

14. trip1ex macrumors 68000

You would immediately know if you got a lemon.

YOu're just paranoid.

A cousin of buyer's regret.

except you are over-analyzing the product instead of maybe the decision so much.

IT's paranoia. Did it do this in the store? Was it exactly like that? In the store everything was "magical." Now though I'm noticing things I didn't notice. yada yada yada.

Some of that is normal. :D

15. xxfury2xx thread starter macrumors member

I actually never went to the store to use the Macbook Pro, I bought it from Apple.com sight unseen. I WILL be going to the store now, though.

16. fineaddme macrumors regular

17. JTToft macrumors 68040

I have no such issues on my 2011 MacBook Pro 15" (antiglare screen).

18. xxfury2xx thread starter macrumors member

OK, I just got back from the Apple store.

I went in and used a couple of different macbook pros that they had on display. I tried a myriad of 13", 15", 17", anti-glare and glossy. It seems as what I'm seeing is in fact normal. As they all do the same thing as mine.

I still think it's lame since my "inferior" laptop isn't as bad with it, but I can only hope that this will get better with updates to the OS or the graphics drivers.

I can now finally begin to actually use my macbook pro and enjoy it. :)

19. soch macrumors member

slow refresh on scroll

i have 15" 2011 hi-res anti glare.

Just impossible to read while scrolling.

Will learn to live with it.