2011 MBP Thermal Paste Disaster

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pentad, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

The ifixit.com people did a teardown of the 2011 MBP and I was shocked at the thermal paste usage. :eek:

I was hoping they would have become better at it over time but from the looks of this....nope!

I kid-you-not, I would fail any of my students if they did this...

Attached Files:

2. bgiff1010 macrumors newbie

Wow thanks for posting this. What a sloppy job on their part.

3. TheHoff macrumors 6502

That is ridiculous. For all of the millions of dollars they've spent designing the airflow and fans and custom building all of the boards and vents... you'd think they'd do the easiest thing possible to improve temps and train people to do a proper paste application.

I'm not surprised at the guy who had to return his as it was going > 105 while gaming. I'm glad mine is fine and idles at 40; I'll assume my paste job isn't that bad.

4. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

5. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

i think for that guy's temps, if he opened his MBP up he wouldn't find any thermal paste at all.

6. TheHoff macrumors 6502

But it is like they served the worst meal possible to a food critic. Since that one got into iFixIt's hands, it is preserved as the example of what the typical one looks like inside.

Anyone who has built their own tower before knows that the difference between a glop of paste and an appropriately thin layer can be 5 or 10 degrees C of cooling.