2011 MBP: Thunderbolt connector going bad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BJB Productions, May 15, 2011.

1. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Hi all,
    Starting today, my secondary monitor will randomly go black then come back. If I wiggle the mini to VGA connector, it will go black randomly as well. To make sure it was not my adapter, I plugged it into a Macbook and it worked fine. I tried moving it but it never went black. I don't want to get this repaired, but this sounds like a possibly bad Thunderbolt port, am I correct? :mad:

2. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

If your port is bad apple will fix it for free..

Why don't you want it repaired?

3. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I'd love to get it repaired, however it's just a pain because they generally take (at least at my Apple store) two weeks to repair it, and I need my computer for work... So I'll have to live with it for now... but that is good that they will repair it. I need to get Apple care before 90 days is up on this.

4. TenderBranson macrumors member

make sure you don't have gfxstatus enabled on "integrated only"

5. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

you have 1 year of Apple Care and you can extend it at any time during that 1 year.

The 90 days is only for live phone support.

6. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I assume you are plugging the mini into the TB port?

Could it just be a mechanical incompatibility between the mini connector and the TB port and not necessarily the TB port?

Is there a TB->VGA adapter out? I would try one if there is one.

Or are the two connectors actually the same?

7. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

I had a similar timing issue when I purchased my mbpro, and learned that there is a higher level repair service that guaranteed one day turn-around. Don't remember the name..maybe Apple Plus or something like that. Anyways, motherboard was bad and I had a huge work project....so I begged with the service guy which is when he mentioned this other service. It was maybe $99 and good for a year. 24 hour turnaround was fine, but it was even better. Dropped the computer off around dinner time and they called me back before I got home (20 minute drive) to tell me it was done. Maybe the exception but the best most productive $99 I've ever spent.

Mark

8. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

TB uses the same connector as mini DP, there are not additional connectors...