2011 MBP upgrading to Mountain Lion - Stability?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Maxicek, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Maxicek macrumors regular

I'm thinking of upgrading my 2011 MacBook Pro to Mountain Lion. I was holding out on this as I had some old games I was playing that needed Rosetta, but I managed to solve that problem at the weekend with Virtualbox.

I'm mainly thinking of upgrading for the iCloud features and Keynote (the latest version is not compatible with Snow Leopard.) Also I'm using Tumult Hype and some of those features are not compatible.

So my question:
    How is that stability now? I know there were issues early on that got patched, is everything OK now?

What should I watch out for if I upgrade? Any tips here, last time I upgraded was Panther -> Tiger and that was a fresh install. Can this even be done if I download from the App Store, or is it always installed over Snow Leopard?

Thanks in advance.

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

No problems with stability -- if by stability you mean "not crashing/panicking". I don't think any release build of OS X has had significant issues of that sort.
    Are there bugs? Yes. (Though there are still plenty in Snow Leopard.)
    10.8.3 is due out very soon, and that should nail the main contentious issues.

"Clean" installs are rarely necessary. On my old iMac, I installed three OSes over the top of the original Tiger OS, with no problems. That's how it's designed to be installed.

3. Suraj R., Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013

Suraj R. macrumors regular

I took my 2008 20" iMac (2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM) from Leopard to Snow Leopard, then I had to upgrade the RAM to 3GB to upgrade to Lion (which I did), and now I upgraded to Mountain Lion on top of that. I've never done a clean install, but maybe I should have since the computer has slowed down significantly recent. But that's probably due to age (almost 5 years old).

But you have a 2011 MBP, that will without a doubt run ML smoothly. Don't even worry about it.

4. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

IMO Mountain Lion is very stable, and for me it's almost on par with SL in performance, and is very smooth and has a lot of useful features. It's a much better OS than Lion was, and is different from SL but runs quite well. I've used it on my old white MacBook (2009) and on my mid 2011 MBA.