2011 MBP - USB adapters for FireWire800, Ethernet, and Thunderbolt ports?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mavi, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Mavi macrumors newbie

I have a July 2011 15" MBP 2.2Ghz with 750GB 5400 rpm hard drive and 8 GB 1600 MHz ram configuration.

I travel a lot and end up using both USB ports a lot for charging various devices (iPhone, iPad, chargers for iPhone and iPad, GoPro cameras, etc). I only use the Thunderbolt port at home when connected to my Thunderbolt Display and because the Ethernet now comes through the TB port, I rarely use the Ethernet port now too. I've NEVER used the FireWire800 port and would love to be able to adapt it somehow to USB2.0.

I'm wondering if Apple or a 3rd party makes a reliable adapter so I can have 3 or more USB2.0 ports that I can use for charging... or better yet, perhaps a TB to USB3.0 port that I can use for both charging and a USB3.0 external drive.

To summarize, these are the 3 adapters I'm searching for:

FireWire800 to USB2.0
    Ethernet to USB2.0
    Thunderbolt to USB2.0 or USB3.0

Thank you!

2. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

3. Mavi thread starter macrumors newbie

Wouldn't a USB hub be limited to the roughly 2.0A current limit of the Apple MacBookPro USB port? The iPad requires 2.1A and even though the iPhone only draws 1.0A, some of my other devices require more than 1.0A.

4. iVoid macrumors 65816

Get a powered USB hub that plugs into the wall and you have all the juice on the ports you need.

Much easier than a non-existant firewire to USB converter and a lot cheaper than any of the thunderbolt to usb adapters out there.

5. Mavi thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, but one of my criteria is that I travel a lot and like to reduce the clutter. For at home, the Thunderbolt Display has plenty of ports for my usage. For travel, I do not like to carry ANY AC adapters except the one for my MacBookPro. I then use the USB ports on my laptop for all my charging needs.

Is there such a thing as an Ethernet to USB adapter and can the Ethernet port provide 2.0A of current draw?

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

As far as I know it's no to both of those.

Even the Thunderbolt docks I've seen with USB ports on them require an external power supply.

Your best bet would probably be some sort of USB travel charger the plugs into a wall socket and gives you four or five USB charging ports.