2011 MBP uses bad SATA II for ODD?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vipergts2207, Feb 24, 2011.

1. vipergts2207, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

According to the OP's information in the following thread the 2011 MBP uses SATA II for the optical drive (SATA III is being used for the HDD.) I think it's safe to assume that the MBP's shipping at this early stage are likely using the faulty Cougar Point chipsets. If you're planning on making extensive use of the ODD or doing an optibay setup, buyer beware. Hopefully someone can provide some evidence that says otherwise, but so far it's not looking good.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1102430

Edit: One alternative explanation is that OS X doesn't have support for SATA III in the ODD port, but is still using a SATA III port.

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

i believe thay ports 1 and 2 were fine. it was the others that were fried. so if apple had an eSata port or something then that would be bad but currently only 2 ports are being utilized and i think the fixed boards are shipping now.

3. vipergts2207 thread starter macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Ports 0 and 1 (SATA III) are fine. Ports 2-5 (SATA II) were initially buggy. There's a way to check your chipset revision, but I don't remember how. Intel is shipping fixed chipsets, but I doubt Apple's turn around on them was this fast. Especially not in the quantities that the MBP's are being purchased.

Edit:

Fixed chipsets should have a revision ID of 05h and B3 stepping. I don't have a 2011 MBP to check though.

http://www.techpowerup.com/140250/I...ng-Cougar-Point-Chipset-from-February-14.html

4. TheHoff macrumors 6502

I don't see anywhere in Sys Profiler to find the stepping ID like that.

5. axu539, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

axu539 macrumors 6502a

If Apple is indeed using a bad chipset, then they've agreed to NOT use the flawed ports. More than likely, Apple used software to limit the ports bandwidth, which is something they've done on older MBPs (later fixed by an EFI update).

Furthermore, maybe Apple didn't even mess with the bandwidth. The guy only bothered testing with an optibay. Maybe the optibay itself doesn't support SATA III?

Edit: My mistake about the last part. It's probably Apple's own software cap. I'm guessing to support 6 Gbps at all in the HDD port they had to rewrite some software. Probably were lazy about the ODD port, so the software itself only supports 3 Gbps.

6. TheHoff macrumors 6502

Optibay doesn't have any electronics; it is just a mounting system.

7. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

You have to realize, apple only uses TWO of the SATA it doesn't use the other ports because there's nothing in the computer to USE those. You have the HDD and the ODD, ports 0 and 1. Both of them are fine, there wasn't any reason to delay the mbp's for a fault that isn't going to affect the systems.

8. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well, I was all set to buy -- now it looks like I'll wait for the ifixit.com tear-down to see just what is hooked up where.

Also, why put a software bandwidth cap on the ODD? What's the point?

9. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I don't think it's an actual cap, but just Apple not updating OS X just yet. To support the 6 Gbps in the HDD port, Apple might have had to rewrite some software. Since most users won't touch the ODD, maybe Apple figured there was no point spending time to update the code for the ODD port.

10. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

This is what I feared all along.
    I'm going to wait until May when they give you a free iPod Touch (sell that) and most likely all the MBP's will have the fixed chips by then.

11. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I suppose -- part of me was thinking it had to do with that data rate lock-down that some ODDs have to discourage movie ripping.

But even if it's just garden-variety sloth and greed rather than malicious avarice, I'm still not impressed. All this time and they couldn't write a bit of code for the other SATA III connector? Weak!

Hopefully (1) this incorrect, or (2) someone writes a patch for Optibay users.

12. TheHoff macrumors 6502

This does seem similar to the original Unibody issue where the ports weren't reporting as SATA II ports and it was fixed with software.

13. slapple macrumors 6502

Is it not possible to have the HDD and ODD on either port 0 or 1 or vice versa? I'd think if they fix the code, that it'd apply to both ports, not just one.

14. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I think after the design is set, all the computers will use the same ports for the same things (ie HDD always on port 0). Also, I believe the OS addresses each port in a separate string of code. For all we know, this is just a glitch that'll be fixed in a new firmware update. The only real way to test it is to just use Windows to check the ports, since Windows should have had 6 Gbps support for a while now.

15. CyberLine macrumors newbie

Hi,

i've bought a new 15 Inch Macbook Pro yesterday.

In System Profiler i have the Following Infos (German):

First Port:
    Code:
    Intel 6 Series Chipset:

Hersteller:	Intel
      Produkt:	6 Series Chipset
      Verbindungsgeschwindigkeit:	6 Gigabit
      Aufgebaute Verbindungsgeschwindigkeit:	3 Gigabit
      Beschreibung:	AHCI Version 1.30 Supported
    Second Port:
    Code:
    Intel 6 Series Chipset:

Hersteller:	Intel
      Produkt:	6 Series Chipset
      Verbindungsgeschwindigkeit:	3 Gigabit
      Aufgebaute Verbindungsgeschwindigkeit:	1,5 Gigabit
      Beschreibung:	AHCI Version 1.30 Supported
    Is there a way to find out the Chipset Revision?

16. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

According to: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2380921,00.asp apple have assured them that they're using the new revision.

17. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Grrr. I demand SATA 3s in the optical bay!

*sigh* I guess I'll be moving by SSD into the main drive bay now. Assuming that the system profiler is showing what the hardware is capable of, not what the OS X is recognizing.