2011 MBP vs. 2011 MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oddlyepic, Aug 13, 2011.

1. oddlyepic macrumors newbie

I have a high end 15" 2011 MBP with the hi-res antiglare screen(500gb 7200rpm). Recently upgraded to Lion and noticed a little lag so I upgraded to 8gb of crucial RAM.

Anyway, I use it as a day to day use laptop and the most taxing things I use it for are watching HD movies in 1080p h264 and occasionally using Adobe Lightroom to touch up RAW files. So basically, I use it to hook up to my HDTV to watch full HD movies and occasionally edit photos. Sometimes I run my bootcamp partition to play counter-strike with my friends and other games. But that's rare so I wouldn't really care much if I lost gaming functionality.

I'm thinking of selling off my 2011 MBP and picking up the new MBA and pocketing the difference until the 2012 MBP comes out and picking up that one while selling off my MBA.

These are my main concerns moving over to MBA.

1. Will I be able to run blu ray quality rips/mkv with surround sound (hooking up to an external display)?
    2. Will I be able to run multiple browser windows with say 20-30 tabs open and Lightroom and Excel running at the same time?
    3. Is it possible to upgrade the SSD on my own? So I can just buy the 128gb model and upgrade to a bigger SSD myself down the line.
    4. Will I be able to resell easily when the new MBP comes out?
    5. Any other issues you guys can think of?

I like the MBA's portability and sleek sexiness and cool factor. Since I know I don't need all the power that my MBP has, I don't mind losing out on all that to have an MBA (as long as I can still watch my movies and use the the laptop as a home theater PC.).

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks!

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Use the SEARCH feature, FFS.

Your exact question has been asked and answered in this very forum innumerable times since the most recent Macbook Airs were released.

3. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

4. randomrazr macrumors 65816

u have a top of the line 15inch and ur not satisfied?

is anything ur doing now gonna change doing it on a future macbook pro in 2012?

kkeep the machine and enjoy it, it will last you quite a few years before its "not conviniant" to use anymore.

be happy ur able to afford a high end model iin the first place

as others have mentioned, search for other peoples similar/identicle posts

the waiting game and selling game for a new machine every year is really pathetic, especially when u talking a $1000 plus computer

5. palpatine macrumors 68040

sorry op. your plan makes no sense to me. i think you just like how the air looks, right?

6. oddlyepic thread starter macrumors newbie

I am very grateful for the high end machine. I am lucky because I can get the new machines at about 16% off after CA tax. That's why I play the latest and greatest upgrade game. I also hear the 2012 MBP will be a complete redesign, So I wanted to get a little ahead of the curve and sell my current 15" while I can still get what I paid for it. Then use the air for a little while until I get the new MBP.

I've searched other threads and they haven't answered my questions about playing the video files at 1080p x264 when hooked up to a HDTV.

7. oddlyepic thread starter macrumors newbie

8. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I just bought a 17" MBP with the 2.3 upgraded i7 and anti glare. I spent a fortune on this machine and will gratefully say that you will regret the macbook air, especially playing videos in HD. I agree the Air is a very sleek machine, but also keep in mind that the intel 3000 hd is a big step down in GPU horsepower.

IMO, I would keep it and appreciate what you have.

9. oddlyepic, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

oddlyepic thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah... or i can get the current value out of selling the 2011 mbp, use the MBA now temporarily just to get a feel for it, then sell that off when the redesigned 2012 MBP comes out.

this way i won't lose my value on the 2011 mbp by selling after the new one is out. i get to test out what a MBA feels like with a SSD and sell that when it still has value and then have the sexy new business with the new MBP.

10. VMMan macrumors 6502a

Life's short. If you can afford it, go for it.

11. randomrazr macrumors 65816

how do you know the 2012 will be a redesign? for all we know, apple could screw us all again with a big spec bump.

your gonna lose alot of power that ur use to when u downgrade to an air. selling it and "Waiting" for the latest and greatest is stupid. there will ALWAYS be something new around the corner. your current macbook can last you for years.

do what u want man. you barely had that macbook for fraction of a year and spent a **** load on it. your losing money because ur selling it (its used) and already u want something newer thats not even out yet

12. mystik610 macrumors regular

If you're running into Lag with 8gb of ram in your MBP, you're going to run into even more lag running the same processes on an MBA.

Stick an SSD in the MBP if you want to bring a new life to it.

13. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

i thumbed up cause thats what im doing lol.

i sold my 2.2/HR/8gb to go 13"/256. Tbh, im using the air for only my last year in college then hoping the 2012 macbooks will become a bit lighter. If not, air for maybe another year.

----------

no offense but you sound a bit salty. its op's money, if he could afford it go willy nilly i say.

14. smali macrumors regular

Selling a top end pro, then buying an air, then selling that air and buying another pro which you yourself have admitted will be waste of power, all in the space of what...8 months? :confused:

15. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Some people have more money than sense.

It's not your money so don't worry about it, let him do what he wants.

16. randomrazr macrumors 65816

its not our money or to make the choice obviously,

were just pointing out that those future actions are ridiculous regardless

17. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

1. Will I be able to run blu ray quality rips/mkv with surround sound (hooking up to an external display)?

Yes

2. Will I be able to run multiple browser windows with say 20-30 tabs open and Lightroom and Excel running at the same time?

Yes (with 4gb ram model)
    3. Is it possible to upgrade the SSD on my own? So I can just buy the 128gb model and upgrade to a bigger SSD myself down the line.

It is albeit a bit difficult
    4. Will I be able to resell easily when the new MBP comes out?

If you treat it with care than yes

5. Any other issues you guys can think of?

Nope

I kinda of have to agree although word it a bit lash harshly maybe.:)

18. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Fair enough!

;)

19. T4R06 macrumors 65816

Really.. I had a MBA for 8months and I felt like there's missing. Now I got the MBP and now I know its called "pro"

I am very satisfied. I've done 8gb ram in less than 5mins

Later ill get momentus XT

20. randomrazr macrumors 65816

21. wegster macrumors 6502

So you bought a MBP where basically a recent netbook would suffice.

yes.

Yes, but if all those browser tabs are running flash, you'll eventually hit the same issue of 'lag' of your MBP causing you to go to 8GB of RAM, IMO. The SSD will help somewhat.

Yes, but the choices are more limited on the Airs - you're need something like the OWC Aura. And you'd be spending quite a bit of $ to just replace it ~6 months later.
    If the new Air isn't out yet, and the new Pros don't become higher powered Airs, or if it's priced right, sure. I would expect to lose more than your 16% discount, especially if you spend yet more on replacing the SSD.

It's your cash, waste it on whatever you'd like, although I'll hope it's out of your pocket and not a parents. You'll probably get $1500-$1600 or so on your current MBP assuming it's flawless and has transferrable Applecare. You'll pay $1300 for the lower end 13" Air, plus taxes, minus whatever discount. You'll pay $500 for an OWC 256GB Aura SSD, bringing your total up to $1800 or so. If you get really lucky, maybe you'll break even there or the Aura prices will drop. In 6 months or whenever you go to 'upgrade' again, you're probably looking at $1200 max with the OWC SSD, $800-$900 without, maybe less depending on if the new Pros are 'Air-like' - lighter and no optical drive, etc.

You do the math - basically you'll be 'renting' the Air for $100+ a month, and it's unlikely you'll get anywhere near break even vs 16% discount (plus taxes). If that's ok with you, go for it, but planned replacement within a 6 month period is just throwing cash away for most people - planning on doing it twice may have some different words. :)

If you like the Air better, then get the Air, but why 'upgrade' to a future Pro when you don't even need the power of the Pros today? Why not just keep the Air, and check out the next Air refresh instead?