2011 MBP vs 2013 rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by creativedogmedia, Mar 13, 2014.

1. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Have used a MBP since early 2011 and love it (it was my first time coming over to the Apple computing side). I am at a point where I want to repurpose mine and pick up a new rMBP. I have the standard 8gb RAM 500gb 15" model from then and am looking at the $1999 model now (15")....obviously, the flash storage is different but will the overall speed of the system be noticeable? I'd like to just walk into the store and pick it up vs. having to special order one. Thanks.

2. wtmk81 macrumors member

I got a rMBP in September. I noticed it is much faster. Opening applications and waking the machine from sleep show very noticeable speed improvements, and I was coming from a newer 2012 iMac.

3. Broc27 macrumors member

I currently use both an early 2011 17" MBP and a late 2013 13" MBP.

The big difference is the SSD, make no mistake about it. The CPU in the 2011 model is still a beast and 8GB is good enough for almost everything but the most extreme uses. I'd suggest upgrading your current macbook with a SSD instead of buying a new one unless:

1. You use programs which max out your CPU (unlikely)
    2. You really want the retina display

4. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I opted for the 16gb RAM and 512HD rMBP and it simply flys. I love the connectivity options as well...I now have 3 24" U series Dells surrounding me and this retina dead center...Thanks for the advice.

Last question...Are screen specs identical or have they changed. I ask because I have an anti-glare screen protector over my old MBP and would like to use it on my new one. Thanks.