2011 MBP White screen on bootup (quad boot)

Smoblikat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2019
Hello, this is my first post on (any apple forum) this forum, so I apologize if its in the wrong spot. I am having a really strange issue with a macbook I bought a couple of months ago, its a 2011 15" macbook pro with a 2720QM. It is currently configured with OSX 10.6, Windows 10 (not bootcamped), Kubuntu 18.10, and ChromiumOS V72. The issue I am having is that after having to re-install my kubuntu partition, my MBR was changed from protective to hybrid, and windows wouldnt boot (again...). Made the appropriate changes in gdisk, and voila, everything boots now. The issue I am now experiencing is that on startup, I do hear the chime, but the laptop just hangs at a white screen with no text/images on it. I reset the PRAM on it 5 times in a row, booting up while holding option does nothing, and I will have to try a SMC reset when I get home later. I have quadboot setups running perfectly fine (exact same config) on a 2009 MBP, 2010 MBP, and a 2011 MBP 13", and other than really annoying quirks about drivers/video modes, they all work perfectly well in this configuration. The issue I am having only started after a fresh reinstall of Kubuntu (Technically I had 18.04 before, now its 18.10.........I will test to make sure this isnt the problem), but this is the second "round" of this problem im having. The first day I owned this system I immediately put an SSD and 10.6 on it, and after a similar series of events (having to reinstall linux) its doing the same thing it is now, just boots to a white screen and hangs, and ignores the option key. If I dont touch the system and unplug it for a full 24 - 48 hours, I can get one good boot out of it, but as soon as I load an OS and reboot, its back to the same behavior. Deleting all partitions other than OSX is the only way to resolve this issue, and it seemingly resets the MBR type back to hybrid, though protective mode is what you would actually need in order to make this configuration work. Normally I would just assume "the setup is way too hacked and flaky" and accept any bugs I find, but since its working perfectly on 3 other machines, I figure there is a pretty decent chance this can be fixed. Anybody have any experience with this sort of behavior? I read the posts about 2011 MBP's and their dying GPU's, I havent hooked an external monitor up to it yet, but when I get home thats another thing im going to try.

Thank you

Smoblikat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2019
Using an external monitor requires a functioning Radeon GPU.
Yes, thats why im planning on testing if my dgpu works or not by using an external monitor. Would there be a better or more direct method of testing?

Audit13

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Based your description, it does sound like the GPU has failed.

I had a late 2011 15" with a failed GPU. Each time I booted the MacBook, I would hear the chime, see the loading bar, and the screen would turn white with no image on the screen. Tried safe mode, NVRAM and SMC resets, two external monitors, and different versions of macOS to no avail.

Smoblikat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2019
Based your description, it does sound like the GPU has failed.

I had a late 2011 15" with a failed GPU. Each time I booted the MacBook, I would hear the chime, see the loading bar, and the screen would turn white with no image on the screen. Tried safe mode, NVRAM and SMC resets, two external monitors, and different versions of macOS to no avail.
Thanks for the info, I think I saw a guide that shows how to bypass the dgpu (which would honestly be much preferred for linux), so ill give it a shot this weekend. Though I would love to hear from other people too, if I can avoid soldering wires to the motherboard on this thing that would be great.....