2011 MBP Will Not Charge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryanmcv, Mar 29, 2011.

1. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

I'm having trouble charging my 2011 15" MBP. I purchased it from Amazon about 2 weeks ago. When I attach the MagSafe adapter to the computer, the computer indicates that it is running on AC power but is not charging. The light on the MagSafe adapter initially turns green, but after a few seconds it simply turns off. My battery has been stuck at 74% for 2 days now. I have cleaned the dust and debris from the computer's AC port and the MagSafe adapter itself. I wasn't having this problem for the first week and a half that I had the machine. Do you think this is an issue with the power adapter or the computer? I am away at college where there are no Apple Stores, so I'm trying to find the easiest way to solve this issue.

2. GGJstudios, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Reset the SMC. Instructions are in the CHARGING section of the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. Udden macrumors newbie

Does your computer turn off if you unplug your megsafe adapter?
    I might have had the same problem a few weeks ago, the strange part is that mine also was at 74% (and it was also 2 weeks old), it wouldn't charge nor run without AC power. If I ran something intensive it would shut down.
    I talked with applesupport and did the SMC reset along with other things. It still didn't work. I also tried to reinstall the OS, but it wasn't possible.
    In the end I got a new computer from Apple.

I'd recommend the SMC reset. If that doesn't work, try to reinstall the OS.

4. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Rub your finger over the end of the magsafe a couple times (the charging part), this works for me mostly, but sometimes takes a couple goes. I have the same issue with my 2010 15".

5. ryanmcv thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

Thanks for the tips, guys. Resetting the SMC seemed to solve the problem, at least for now. Hopefully it doesn't act up again.