2011 MBP with fans blasting.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlazednSleepy, May 30, 2012.

1. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

So my dads MBP fans seem to almost always be on full blast even when it's idle. He did a SMC troubleshoot or whatever it's called and theres no improvement. When I put the computer to sleep at night the fans will then immediately drop down to silent. Is this an issue that's common? Should I have him take it to the apple store? He's still under warranty.

Thanks guys.

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Is he running anything in the background?

Start Activity monitor and pick "All Processes" and look at what's eating up CPU time.

If it's idling at a low percentage, then it's not normal for it to kick up the fans.

take it to the store.

3. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

The fans will stop when the computer is put to sleep, that is normal behavior. However, it's not normal for the MacBook to have its fans running at full speed when only normal usage is occurring.

I'd take it to the Apple store - can't hurt to have a genius take a look at it.

4. BlazednSleepy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I forgot to mention he does use an external display. A dell 1920x1200.

So I looked at my dads activity monitor and it showing HP short cut manager run at nearly 50-60%???

And it doesn't give me the option in the log in items menu to delete that manager.. What should I do?:confused:

5. BlazednSleepy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Figured it out and deleted the stupid file.

Fans immediately kicked back down and now it's running much quieter. Can't believe this is an issue that's been going on for years.

I wonder if someone should make a thread about?

6. CocoSS macrumors member

The video card was struggling to output the image to your external display. My macbook did the same. The cpu was at about 30 40 %