2011 MBP won't boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by revenire, Jan 11, 2016.

1. revenire macrumors member

revenire

Sunday the desktop screen was "faded" - would not go full on. Restarted the thing. Would not boot. Goes to Apple screen, then goes halfway (the bar), then shuts off or restarts. Repeats this over and over or just shuts itself down. Tried to boot off DVD - Command C - worked but problem repeated itself. And screen went all weird for a moment, then froze and then back to the "won't boot" loop and won't even come up with Command C off the DVD.

Running El Capitan. Had no issues with this machine ever. Was watching videos with my wife, set it down and came back after shoveling snow and blammo!

Any ideas before I take it to the Apple Store?

Thanks!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

15 inch or 13 inch?? If it's the 15 inch it's almost certainly the GPU and that is currently covered by an apple repair scheme due to excessive failure of this card on the 2011 MBP's, that free repair scheme ends february this year so get it checked at the apple store now if it's a 15 inch. If it's the 13 inch it might be more difficult to diagnose.

3. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Here is a link to the Apple video repair extension program.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Just seen in your sig it's a 17 inch, yeah thats covered. However they use refurbed parts that will eventually die on you the repair program ends in february and then you are on your own. I'll give you the same advice I gave the other similar thread, start saving for a new computer now or get it repaired and sell it quick and buy something else.

5. revenire thread starter macrumors member

revenire

17 inch (and thanks for the heads-up on the rest).

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP:

As others have pointed out, this is covered by a free Apple repair program.

BUT -- time is running out, I think it ends in February.

So... get it in there on the double!

7. revenire thread starter macrumors member

revenire

Yeah just talked to Apple - taking it tomorrow. They said it was covered (as long as their diagnostics say that's the issue).

Thanks guys!

8. cstm, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016

cstm macrumors regular

How do you know they use refurbed parts? Aren't they supposed to fix the issue and not just replace it with something that has the same failure rate as the previous part?

I have a 2012 retina 15 inch and first dgpu failed in 2013 and second one few days ago, and now it's being replaced. So I should expect it to fail again in near future?

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Because this forum is full of threads about repairs failing sometimes within a few months, actually if you read apples terms and conditions they explicitly state that they may use refurbished parts to fix your computer.

However that was specifically for the AMD 2011 issue we haven't seen enough repairs of the 650M to know if it's a refurbed part yet but I would guess it will be by now 3 years later.

10. revenire thread starter macrumors member

revenire

Apple tested it today - was the video problem so off it went for repair. I took pics of it before I took it in - just in case they scratch it. They said 3-5 day turnaround.

Thanks again guys for the heads-up on the issue.

11. revenire thread starter macrumors member

revenire

Got it back today. Less than a 48 hour turnaround! Not a scratch, working fine.

12. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

My late 2011 17" was repaired in Sept 2014 and still going strong.

I use "gfxCardStatus" to hold it in integrated display only.