2011 MBP's Radeon HD Card defective?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Renverse, May 28, 2011.

1. Renverse macrumors member

Hi guys,

Ever since I've gotten this MBP I've been extremely happy except for one thing.

I didn't notice at first, but when I started doing things like playing Portal 2, watch movies or even the screensaver, the screen would freeze, start flickering a bit and display lines. When that happens, it takes OS X with it, because nothing seems to react. Alt tab, power button, CMD + Q, nothing happens.

Now, I've got my suspicions about this: It's most likely the AMD card. I've been using GFXStatus to force the system to use the Intel card, which is not that bad, but far from ideal for a laptop for which I've paid €2285 for.

Any ideas? I am looking to go to an Apple Authorized Service Center, but I simply can't afford to lose my computer for a week (Graphic Design student, finals coming up), as this is my primary computer.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Talk with the AASP and see if you can negotiate a good way of fixing it. The actual repair shouldn't take more than a few hours so ask if you could bring the MBP e.g. a night before the repair day so you could get it back on the next day or the day after.

Another option is to keep it as it is until your finals are over and then get it fixed.