2011 Mini crashed for first time - should I worry?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by frank4, Nov 20, 2014.

1. frank4 macrumors regular

frank4

I have had this Mac mini for just over 3 years and it has never crashed or frozen until an hour ago. There might have been a few Safari restarts required in the first year and that is the only reliability issue that I can remember.

The Mini was running Safari and Mail and I had not touched it for a few minutes and the Screen Saver had not yet kicked in. I run dual displays and I noticed one of the displays had a slightly "off" colour on its desktop which is normally "solid aqua graphite" on both displays. The Mini was frozen and unresponsive.

A reboot seems to have brought it back to normal.

I wonder what might have caused the crash. Any ideas? I have not changed the Mini peripheral cables, RAM, etc for a long time.

About 10 years ago I had an old Windows computer that would sometimes freeze when the house gas furnace fan motor turned on (no problems since then). Maybe I have a "dirty AC power" issue in my house.

2. asriznet macrumors regular

For 3 years and only 1 crash, that's impressive in my book.

I'm more impressed if the mac mini was left on for the whole 3 years and not shut down.

I wouldn't worry too much.

3. frank4 thread starter macrumors regular

frank4

Well I hope this freeze is just a one-time event.

I ran Disk Utility and the HD seems OK, although there were a small number of permission errors (now repaired).

4. asriznet macrumors regular

yeah the permission errors are not really a critical thing.

in fact, some of them can be safely ignored as per documented by the following article by Apple.

http://support.apple.com/en-sg/HT203172