2011 Mini vram question for diablo 3

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by discofedora, Aug 5, 2012.

1. discofedora macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. Very new here. Just registered to post this thread.. haha
    Basically I want/need a mini to play diablo 3(well normal computer stuff too, but obviously gaming is the most laborious for it to do).
    I have been doing research for weeks on it, and most questions are resolved but this:
    If I get the one with Intel HD 3000 with 8gb ram, which would max the integrated vram to 512mb, will it give a better performance than the radeon dedicated 256mb vram? Or is the "dedicated" part is more of a dealmaker here? (given same resolution, effect setting, etc.)
    Also, I've heard people say Mac OS perform better with more ram(16gb). Is this valid? Is there a difference in performance(given same hard drives)? Because from what I've read most people say you don't need 16 unless you are running VMs.
    Thanks a lot!

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

1. No the discrete graphics card (6640m) will still beat the integrated HD3000 even with double the vram. If you want to game, the Mid-Mini is the way to go.
    3. No. You do not need 16GB of RAM. 8GB seems to be the sweet spot since it can be regularly had for less than $40 in the US (not sure about the rest of the world). With that said, you can max out the RAM at 16GB for less than $80, so it isn't super expensive to max it out (although whether you will ever need the additional 8GB is hard to say).

3. n0cus macrumors 6502

Paul is right it better to have less faster VRAM then more slower VRAM. You should be fine with 8GB of RAM.