2011 MM server w/ 16 gb ram VS 2011 base iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JAYBEATS23, May 12, 2012.

1. JAYBEATS23 macrumors newbie

They are both quad core. The mini is i7 while the iMac is i5 but clocked higher. I could do the ram upgrade later on the iMac . I plan to run logic & GarageBand at the same time , edit my 1080p videos in FCP X, develop my new app/web page,iPhoto editing,and just browse the web :). I have 635 in bb gift cards . So at most I'm willing to add $400.

2. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

The i7 in mac mini is a laptop cpu and the i5 in the imac is desktop cpu. Therefore, performance wise, the i5 will be much faster.

If you want to use it as media server and leave it on all the time, than mini is a good way to go as it uses less power. Otherwise, I think 21.5" imac is better value for money. You get a faster cpu, much better gpu, good quality monitor and a keyboard and mouse for not much more $.

Either way, it is best to hold on paying full price for either machines as new models are likely to be released soon.

3. JAYBEATS23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm I didn't know that about the cpu's . But I have a wireless keyboard, trackpad, and a 120 hz 42 " LED TV . I will defintinly hold out until WWDC to see what their talking about. How much does apple discount previous generations usually?

4. 88 King, May 12, 2012
    Last edited: May 12, 2012

88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

Problem I've with the mini server is I'd pay premium for laptop cpu that have less performance than a cheaper desktop cpu (imac), but without the advantage of portability like a laptop. In the UK, the mini server is only £110 cheaper (with discount) than the entry level 21.5" imac.

I tried to use a 32" TV as monitor, but was never really happy with the image quality. It was had to find the right sharpness level for letters.

I'm also waiting after WWDC before getting a new apple machine if there is a refresh, as I'd probability get free Mountain Lion upgrade later on.

5. SpecAU macrumors member

Check the GPU on the mini server. I beleve it's dismal compaired to the imac

6. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I would spend some time at an Apple store with iMac screen, etc., before you made a difference. Like others have said, I have never understood the desire to spend near as much, or more, for a mini than a iMac just to get it in pieces, particularly when Applecare is 3 years.