2011 model iMac displays photos as damaged

Discussion in 'iMac' started by briannalee, Aug 21, 2013.

1. briannalee macrumors newbie

My computers has been showing image files (mostly dng and cr2 files) as damaged. I've attached a few examples of what's happening below. It's definitely a problem on the computer, because the files look fine on other computers and it happens to images from a variety of cameras and hard drives. I've spent all night going through the process of uninstalling and deleting all adobe cs6 software and installing a trial version of creative cloud, but it didn't solve anything. Sometimes a file can be fine as a cr2, but then when converted to dng it is damaged. Sometimes there's only a few corrupt images in a folder, but when I visit that folder the next day there are twice as many damaged files. I've also gone through the process of verifying my hard drive on disk utilities with no errors.

My computer is a 2011 27 inch iMac (only purchased just over a year ago). All the software and operating system is up to date.

Any advice would be so greatly appreciated. I'm freaking out slightly.

Attached Files:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Except for the fact that you looked at the images on other computers, I'd say the RAW files are corrupted, especially since other images are showing up ok.

How does the preview app display the images - do they come up ok or are they corrupted as well?

3. briannalee thread starter macrumors newbie

It's definitely not doing any real damage to the files because they are fine on other computers, it's just how they look on my computer.

They appear damaged in the preview app also.

4. imurdaddy macrumors member

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Would it be the GPU, if all other images and/or interactions do not show such a corruption? I thought the same thing but if its limited to just his RAW/DNG images I'm not so sure

6. briannalee thread starter macrumors newbie

I ran a hardware test and it said...

"Alert! Apple Hardware Test has detected an error. 4MEM/9/40000000: 0x85efa118"

Any idea what that means? I've tried googling it with no results.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

7. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Does your 27" 2011 iMac qualify for the Apple graphics card replacement program?
    Apple Initiates Graphic Card Replacement Program for Mid-2011 27-inch iMac
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1623873

8. mapleleafer macrumors regular

The 4MEM/9/40000000 code indicates a memory problem, but I have no idea how, or if, bad ram could affect your photos like that.

9. briannalee thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately my graphics card is a AMD Radeon HD 6770M not 6970M. So close!

10. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Two years later and all of so sudden the 2011 iMac become problematic and goes kaput here and there.

Strangely enough Apple made the 6970M recall.

Almost like a time bomb and Apple had just been waiting for it.

11. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

That is unfortunate. :(

FWIW, I have a 2011 21.5" iMac with a AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics card and have been having some similar looking graphics weirdness when using programs like Photoshop & Pixelmator, etc. It's not all the time, but seems to be happening more frequently. It'll be interesting to see if the Apple graphic card replacement program may be expanded in future.

Wishing you good luck with yours!

12. WilliamG macrumors 604

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4832172?start=0&tstart=0