2011 MPB - Virtual Box XP guest EXTREMELY slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macdroid, Mar 3, 2011.

1. macdroid macrumors member

So this is my first mac, and one of the reasons I purchased this 2011 15" MPB is so I can keep using virtual machines. Since I usually use Virtual Box, I decided to stick with the same software since it has worked so well for me on many PC's.

However, for some strange reason, installing Windows XP is taking me hours (started this morning, it's still installing). I don't think it's a guest driver related issue, since even selecting the hard drive to partition takes many seconds before the cursor moves.

I can't find anyone else complaining about this issue, so I decided to post it in this forum in case it's some strange compatibility issues with the new laptops.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? If you are able to use XP with the latest version of Virtual Box, I would love to hear from you as well. Thanks!

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

I installed Win7 on my Penryn 2.5GHZ MBP with Parallels and it didn't take too long, but I didn't really have enough RAM to run what I wanted in Windows (games).

You may have more luck with this question in the Windows on a Mac forum.

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

why install such a legacy OS?
    anyway win 7 install went smoother for me then XP in virtual box (i removed it shortly after)

4. macdroid thread starter macrumors member

XP is much lighter on resources, plus I have some legacy software that requires XP. Will definitely try Windows 7 too tho.

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

doesn't that compatibility mode or whatever work? - i think its under properties for the executable.

6. macdroid thread starter macrumors member

No, unfortunately it doesn't.

I just started installing Windows 7, and am having similar issues. Moving the ISO to a SATA controller seems to improve it slightly, but still way too slow. I haven't tried installing from an actual disc yet (have been using ISO's), which is the only other thing I can think of.

I am hoping someone else can confirm they have no issues with Virtual Box on the new MBP's, would hate to switch software.

7. macdroid thread starter macrumors member

Ok, 24 hours later, and Windows XP is still installing , same problem with Windows 7.

Can a moderator please move this thread to the 'Windows on a Mac' forum, hoping it will get more attention there, as I am really stuck :(

8. macdroid thread starter macrumors member

9. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

Thanks for that link. Just swapped my mid-2009 MBP for a 2011 model and the three VirtualBox Win7/XP VMs I use for work purposes are now unusable. Let's hope they fix it quick; don't fancy re-building from scratch with Parallels/VMWare. Also, Parallels claim import capability for VirtualBox VMs but it fails with all of mine...

10. macdroid thread starter macrumors member

The bug report contains some work-arounds, I am assuming they wouldn't require a rebuild of the VM, so worth a shot for sure. As much as I like Virtual Box on the PC, I think I am going to give VMWare Fusion a try, since it can boot a bootcamp partition as well, and seems to be more stable.

11. Bigmacduck macrumors regular

Forget about Virtual Box

If you can afford a Mac, then you can also afford an additional 80$ for Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac. I used Virtual box myself, but it's simply not as good as a commercial product. Since I installed Parallels, I stopped thinking about other VM products.

I strongly recommend to test it out and download the trial license. You'll love it.

12. macdroid thread starter macrumors member

While I personally dislike 'if you can afford X you can afford Y" type statements (what about the people who spent their last penny in order to be able to buy this type of product, people who got laid off, etc.), I do appreciate the tip, and will definitely be checking out Parallels as well.

It does sound like Fusion is the most stable out of those 3 products, but it's something I will have to experience for myself I guess.

13. gboswellsac macrumors member

While I still only have the 2010 MBP, I run all three , Parallels, VB and Fusion. If you are running Microsoft OS, Parallels does a splendid job, I prefer VB for being able to copy and paste from Linux command line to OS X, and Fusion works with everything but needs tweaking to equal Parallels with coherence mode. All do a good job on the core2dou , the VB team will find a fix soon but having a backup is product is good. Guess I'll put off the upgrade to 2011 i7 for a while. Would like to hear your results.