2011 NFL Football Off-Season discussion

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by einmusiker, Feb 19, 2011.

1. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

63dot and I are too anxious to wait for the summer, and with the CBA going on this thread is pretty relevant.

So, how do you think the CBA will go down? I am actually hoping for a 17 game season with only 2 pre-season games. The thing I don't like about extending the season is that it would skew the numbers as far as historical records are concerned. Perhaps they could base records on game averages or something I don't know.

2. einmusiker thread starter macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I agree it's a step in the right direction, but unless the owners and players go along with it there is no binding decision. I think it will be good for both sides to be able to flush out their concerns and desires

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The off season might last a few more months....

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Looks like lockout has started.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2011/1/18/1942788/nfl-lockout-roger-goodell-nflpa

5. einmusiker thread starter macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Can't say I'm surprised given the current financial climate :(

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

the owners are a bunch of greedy bastards. i hope the nfl's popularity tanks like the nhl's did after their lockout.

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Not just the owners. They are all greedy. Let's not kid ourselves.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The league is making $9 billion a year. I think there is more than enough money for everyone. The small market teams are the ones that want a bigger cut. The Players don't want to play 18 games. And nobody really seems to care about the retired players who are barely getting by.

9. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I hope things get better, because with the events of the last week, I don't know if it can get worse.

There's still time left to find common ground but my gut tells me the deep differences out there will have us all watching something else during what should be football season 2011-2012.

The only positive side is that if things have broken down as much as they have, and there can be undue hardship hoisted on a lot of people and businesses (not as rich as owners or players) who get affected, an order can be (and has) made to have differences be appealed to the US Supreme Court.

I hope it doesn't get too messy. For football to happen, both sides are going to have to give in a little and neither side will be all that happy imho, but if there is no season, then everyone loses out. Owners and players can sit out for years and still feed their families, but the regular salaried and hourly workers who make a living off of football (even to the small stores who carry football paraphernalia and to the workers in the stands), a broken season can be disastrous in these hard times.

The longer this stalemate goes on, the more people will be turned off by football to the point they may lose fans for years.

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Which is why the players need the money more than the owners. They play, for the most part, a 10 year career if they are lucky. They have to maximize their earnings during that period. The owners just sit on their fat old asses and collect $50 for every car that drives in to their parking lot, $150 per ticket, $10 per beer, etc.

lets go bruins!! hockey is better anyways. less commercials, and fighting is part of the sport.

Which is why, with the top 2 rated tv programs in the past 2 years being the last 2 super bowls, the NFL is extremely stupid with this whole lockout thing. Everyone saw what happened to baseball in 1995 and the NHL in 2005.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The NHL was actually running out of money and had to reset it's salaries. I believe they are actually doing better now than before the strike. The MLBPA wanted more money so they went on strike. The NFL is not hurting and is the most profitable sport. They really have no reason to be fighting over money.

12. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I don't think they'll really lose fans unless this thing drags on the point that we don't have a 2011 season at all and I highly doubt that will happen. Sure, no one likes to see rich people fighting over where a decimal place should be, but with the popularity of football and the short season system fans will come right back.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And aren't most players earning millions of dollars? When they retire, they should be all set for the rest of their life even if they don't earn a penny more. Too many of the players squander away their money on fancy cars or big houses, or lawyer fees to keep them out of jail when they do something stupid.

This whole thing is a pissing match between billionaires and millionaires. Excuse me while I play the world's smallest violin for them.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The players that built the league, the 70's 80's, don't get any money from the league and they are the ones with the worst health problems.

15. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I would definitely be in favor of all players getting guaranteed health coverage for life or at least the league could work out some kind of company sponsored health program that the players could pay into to get coverage for life. Like a term life policy, but it would be a health policy instead. For all I know they may already have something like this, but there's no reason that a system making 9 Billion a year couldn't provide or assist with health coverage for the players after they retire.

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I think they are too, but it took 5 years.

nope. but they are greedy.

This thing needs to end before Week 1 of the regular season or they will start to have problems.

Your superstars are making millions of dollars. MOST players don't make that kind of money. The league minimum salary last year was just over $300k. Pro athletes have a pretty high cost of living (traveling to see family, etc) so while 300k is a good amount of money, it's not crazy. Bob Kraft makes more than that in beer sales by the end of the first quarter of a single game.

This. When players retire, the league no longer gives a **** about them. That should change.

17. einmusiker thread starter macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Thoughts on the draft thus far?

Personally was pretty happy with the packers choice of OL at pick 32. Rodgers needs all the blocking he can get and sherrod was the best player available. Also was happy to see jj watt go number 11

Very dissappointed though that scam newton went no 1. Lets keep showing our youth that crime pays i guess? :rolleyes:

18. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

So Houston will finally have more than a one-man pass rush.:)

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The way the NFL is fighting over money I really could care less about the draft.

20. MacNut, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011

MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Hey guess what, the NFL owners are a bunch of jack asses. ESPN is reporting that the lockout is back on. ESPN jumped the gun in saying the lockout is back on, the 8th district has not ruled yet.

21. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

+1. At least there will be hockey to watch this fall. It won't be the same though.

22. einmusiker thread starter macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Every profession deals with contract disputes... You are a yankees fan and greed bothers you?????
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

23. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I thought it was pretty boring all things considered. Teams were clearly playing it safe all night.

I thought the fans booing Goodell every time he went on stage was just disgusting though. That wasn't the place to do that and I don't know why they're complaining. No matter which side ends up winning its not going to put money in the pockets of the fans. They should have just cheered, enjoyed the night, and let the draftees enjoy the spotlight.

24. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I couldn't have agreed more.

The highlight for me was seeing Ingram getting very emotional when the espn interviewer was reading the text message. Great moment.