2011 Pro: SSD might compensate the weaker GPU ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yly3, Jul 20, 2011.

1. yly3 macrumors 6502

Jan 9, 2011
    I want to buy a 13" Pro but I will also play (very casually). The 2010 model obviously has better graphics but the 2011 model has a lot better processor and is more future-proof. Whatever Apple will release in November or early 2012 I want to keep this machine for at least 18 months.

However I am worried about the heating issues from the newer model. Btw, I want the standard dual-i5 2.3ghz with 4gigs of ram (might upgrade to 8 later) and I really want to upgrade with a 128 SSD. Would this compensate the lower GPU ? It sure made wonders on the Airs.
  2. ayeying macrumors 601

Dec 5, 2007
    Yay Area, CA
    Depends on what you do.

If you're a gamer, or anyone who uses a lot of 3D processing power, an SSD won't do anything.

If you're a casual user, aka, web surfing, email, itunes, a little graphics or games, then SSD will help speed up opening the programs.

But once an application is opened, theres almost no need for the drive, so there's no help there. It's just there to help load items faster.
  3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Mar 14, 2008
    I don't see the logic in thinking a hard drive speed increase would do anything for the graphics, seeing as they don't depend on one another at all.

In short, no, it wouldn't do anything for you graphics wise. At all.