2011 Refresh Question?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Irock619, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

I am a bit ignorant about Macs and I just purchased a 2011 MBP a week ago. Do you guys think the refresh will be available for current models? Or do you have to purchase a whole new computer? In other words, can current MBP users update their own computer without purchasing a new one? My new computer is already super fast so I'm not sure if the refresh would be worth the hassle or the money. Thanks!!

2. Inopia-Vi macrumors regular

No, if it is a processor speed bump, you can't change it. But, not much to bother unless you personally own a rendering farm :cool:

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

a "refresh" can mean anything from processor bump to whole new design.

Apple might make a processor jump on BTO depending on Intel availability.

If you already have a new MBP, then you would need a new machine to get any "refresh". If they announce a new machine tomorrow, then you could return your current machine, since it's within 14 day return, and then buy a newer MBP.

4. mountains macrumors regular

I'm guessing that the MBP's CPU is soldered in, so you can't replace it yourself. You'd need to talk with Apple about switching out your laptop for a new MBP.

5. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

They are soldered-in in most notebooks. They'd probably ask you to purchase a new MBP.

6. Irock619 thread starter macrumors 68000

Irock619

A whole new model MBP is coming out soon correct? Maybe within the next week :roll eyes: I always find these things out when I purchase something new lol!

7. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

i highly doubt one would be coming out in the next few weeks... i doubt they'll change anything till ivy bridge.

8. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

no, a "new" macbook won't be out until Q1 2012 at the earliest, Q2 is more likely.

what may happen in a few weeks is apple will give the option to CTO a faster processor. but if you didn't already get the 2.3GHz, and have some reason to need a faster clock speed, it doesn't affect your laptop at all.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

I never said a new model was coming out within the next week or anything of the sort. I simply said IF a new MBP came out next week, the only way you could upgrade to it would be to get a new machine by returning your existing machine, getting credit, then buying another machine. there MIGHT be a processor bump later this year, but I doubt anything major until spring 2012.