2011 Refurb Timescales?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by andyfase, Aug 20, 2011.

1. andyfase macrumors newbie

Hi,

Wondering if anyone had any views on when the 2011 Air refurb's are likely to start hitting the refurb stores?

Also as I just emigrated to Vancouver (from UK) I will probably be getting it from the Canadian refurb store rather than US or UK, does stock vary across all 3 or are they all shipped from China anyway hence it makes no difference which store you buy it from?

I'm after the 13 inch i5 with 256GB SSD, I figure the refurb discount will allow the 256GB SSD for the price of the 128GB on a instore purchase ....

Cheers

Andy

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Refurbs come and go as they are available. There is no set schedule.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

True, but if the 2010 MacBook Air is any indication, I'd expect to start seeing refurbished units available late September or October.

4. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

I am someone who has only bought their Mac's refurbished. Now though, the MacBook Air had to be new for me. Refurb's are easily the best deal for nearly brand new macs minus the packaging.

5. andyfase thread starter macrumors newbie

Understand that, the question was more how long from initial product launch (approx 1 month ago now) until the first refurbs start appearing. Based on anyone's previous experience / knowledge.

Cheers

Andy

6. fishcake macrumors newbie

Stock differences between countries

There does seem to be variations in what is offered on the refurb stores between countries. When I was looking for a mini last year it was available on the US store for a while but not on the Canadian.

7. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

Usually 3 months. So If it came out in July, expect it in October. There is no definite time, but ballpark - 3 months.

8. thuglove macrumors member

The latest MBP's were released on Feb 24th (IIRC) and I remember the earliest refurbs came out around the first week of May, although they sold out within hours of showing up. It took another week for the model I wanted to show up (17" AG MBP 500gb/7200rpm) and another week for models to stay for longer than 12 hours and become readily available. So nearly 3 months.

The MBAs, however, could be sooner since there are like 8772362632 being returned for not having double Samsungs.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

That's the phone number for a first nation tribe in Canada. :)

There were a lot of legitimate returns of 2010 MacBook Airs in the early days, too (wake from sleep was a real problem, and there were a few others). Refurbished units started turning up the day after Christmas. They were in short supply at first, but became steadier around February. I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing refurbished units make their way into the system in late September or October, and be plentiful after the holidays.

10. calvol, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

calvol macrumors 6502a

About 3-4 months from launch... I think first 2010 Air refurbs were available in late Jan 2011 from an Oct 2010 launch. I bought the 2010 MBA in Feb for -$270 off retail, and it has been a good build. Only had 3 battery cycles and 5 weeks old when I got it. If this forum is reflective of the general user population, there will be a lot of refurbs coming in to Apple for repair.

11. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I would think sooner, as all the post I have read 2 or 3 times, lol..... I wold guess the initial stock will be TS and LG....... 98%:eek: