2011 SSD Install

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shawnwalters, Oct 2, 2011.

1. shawnwalters macrumors newbie

I just bought a 2011 i7 2.2 15" macbook pro and an intel 120G hard drive. I want to replace the HDD thats in the machine now. However, I noticed apple is no longer sending the install disks with the laptops. So how do I re-install the OS after replacing the drive in the machine??

Thanks,
    Shawn

2. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

You connect your machine to the internet and download the OS that way. Hope you have a fast connection (that isn't metered) or it'll take a while/cost you some money... :p

3. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Or you can just clone you platter on to the SSD..

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

With the current drive installed, make sure you have the latest EFI update, then just switch them out, and it will go into internet recovery mode, download Lion and install it for you.

5. shawnwalters thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all. I don't think I can clone unless I buy an external docking station for the ssd?

As for the other method of downloading lion via the internet - with no OS, will I be able to access via wifi, or does it need to be wired? And sorry to be to a noob, but do I download it via command line, and if so what's the command (ie how do I download it)?

6. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

sata usb cables are not expensive and are useful..

7. Freddy1765 macrumors member

You can read about Internet Recovery on Apple's website. I'm doing the same thing once my SSD arrives, hopefully within a couple of days - it sounds pretty neat.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Recovery mode will get you a graphic interface with wifi that is easy to understand.