2011 Tour de France

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Simgar988, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Is anyone watching this? I've been watching daily and am really rooting against Contador and for either Andy or Evans. I'm very split down the middle with both of them, and I think they both deserve it.

Cavandish has been cleaning up, the car hitting the lead riders and all the beautiful has made for a very beautiful tour.

2. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

Ive been following it as closely as I can but I have spent some time out bush with no TV or internet. Been catching up in the last few days.

Being an aussie im going for Cadel. However he just never seems agressive enough to take risk that will put him in front and his team despite having george hincapie seems to be lacking of support. Last nights desperate chase to make up time to Andy was promising and hopefully Cadel can get it on the next time trial.

btw. the official tour de france app is pure awesome.

3. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

wow, what a stage today (US, on dvr, so was yesterday?). cadel is on fire, the schleck brothers are going like mad, and i can't believe voeckler is still in yellow?! dude is having the ride of his life.

LOL @ cantador and the crack of the century. no 'enhancements' no 'win' i guess... but i'm sure it was just the bad meat last year. should have tried some more bad meat this year. perhaps. :rolleyes:

alpe d'huez tomorrow. let the good times roll!

4. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 2nd gen: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've been waiting for Schleck to do this since the first mountain stage. I really think he can win this year, he was clearly stronger than everyone today.

5. Simgar988 thread starter macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Today is what I've been waiting for 3ish years! Great show Andy! And brother frank right behind!

I think cadel has it in him to give the bros a fight, but they have the huge advantage of bing able to work together.

6. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

I'm not watching too closely, but super excited that Thor Hushovd and Edvald Boasson Hagen are doing so great! Norwegian pride :D

7. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

My friend runs a twitter and a podcast about the tour and other events, @bicicleteros maybe you can meet more bicycle fans

8. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I was so excited looking at today's stage :D Schleck in yellow! I hope he'll be able to prevent Cadel Evans to grab it tomorrow.

9. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

I hope the opposite. Hopefully Cadel's superior time trial skills will get him into the yellow. People in the "know" are predicting Cadel will be able to gain about a minute on Andy so its gonna be close.

10. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

You were right - he won by a nice margin. I knew Cadel was strong in TT, but I didn't know he was so strong :eek: He easily beat Cancellara (which surprisingly didn't win, maybe he was too tired from the three previous weeks?).

11. OKnightshio macrumors newbie

They lost me last year, after the tour was over how many were exposed in doping. I Could not remember who finished in what place.

12. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Congrats to Cadel Evans he deserves a win for all the hard work he's put in over the years,I'll overlook his Aussiness just this once.

13. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

What's wrong with his Aussiness???

I agree Cadel has come so close in the past years its good to see him finally win it.

14. nicksmolenski macrumors regular

nicksmolenski

This year I'm happy that Cavendish won the green jersey. He really rode for those 5 stage wins.
    And as a leopard trek fan, the schleck brothers really pulled out again. now let's see andy get a tour win after coming in 2nd so many times :D

15. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I'm a kiwi I support NZ and whoever is playing Australia.:)

16. Xavier macrumors 68020

I am glad he won and he deserves it. Lance has been quotes saying (and now I can;t seem to find it) that the tour is won on the Time Trials, and Evans did just that.

Very impressive.

17. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Yes he does deserve it.I'd disagree with Armstrong the tour is usually won or lost in the mountains,whether that's by and out and out climber who's not bad contra la montre (Contador Pantani)or an excellant time trialist who can hang on in the mountains (Evans).

18. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

ooohh makes sense then. My dad is a kiwi (despite the fact that he has lived in Aus for 30+ years) and seems to barrack for who ever is winning out of Aus and NZ. Usually NZ for rugby and Aus for everything else. :D Although he won't admit it.