2011 Unibody Parts for a 2012 Model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheFlaneur, Jul 13, 2012.

1. TheFlaneur, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012

TheFlaneur macrumors newbie

I bought a 15" MBP Anti-Glare (non-retina) just a week ago and already had the misfortune of dropping a 3lb. external hard drive right on top of it (while opened), putting a dent in the top case and also a deep, permanent scratch in the matte LCD display.

UGH.

Since these machines are so new, there's little info online about the minutiae of the hardware (I already searched iFixit thoroughly) . From what I've seen, there seems to be very little difference in the hardware from the late 2011 models, although I've learned that depending on how the 2012 logic board is configured, it may require a different length video cable from a new LCD/display assembly.

Anyone know if early/late 2011 parts (for either LCD/Display Assembly/Top Case) would be suitable replacements in the 2012 model?

Many thanks!

2. TheFlaneur thread starter macrumors newbie

On what basis are you making this claim, as the guys over at iFixit beg to differ.

3. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

ifixit's repair guide didn't mention anything regarding the LCD panel being any different from previous models. It's the same LCD, so it should fit and still be compatible.

It's gonna be a pricey repair, looking at $400-$500