Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I know a few of us who have been in the industry and/or watch the car market have been talking about the arrival of the Fiesta in the US. The Fiesta is probably loosely in between the markets of the Fit/Yaris and the Mini, with a much stronger emphasis on vehicle dynamics and tech features than the Toyota/Honda cars, but less to the extreme (and less performance-centric in a drivetrain sense) than the Mini.

As a gimmick, Ford is offering reservations for the Fiesta, which goes on sale in the summer. Reservations are non-binding, but they include some free premium features, including Sync, worth a few hundred dollars, and also promise a "VIP" experience (if Ford dealerships have learned how to do this since the last time I bought a Ford, I will duly impressed in that in itself).

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...eservations-for-the-13320-fiesta-subcompact/1

USA Today said:
Dealing with a car salesman? Not if you're buying a new Ford Fiesta before it hits the streets next summer.

Instead, you'll place your "reservation" with a "Fiesta reservations consultant" through a website. (Once there, you click on the "reservations" tab.) Ford says 1,000 have done so already, lured by the $13,320 starting price and its 40 mile-per-gallon gas mileage on the highway. And it says its grass-roots promotion in which it put a bunch of the European versions of the car in the hands of young, hip and blogging consumers created the buzz that is leading to sales of the car sight unseen:

"The Fiesta Movement created an unparalleled awareness and interest for the Fiesta months ahead of it going on sale next summer," said Lew Echlin, car marketing communications manager for Ford. "Fiesta Reservations provides these prospective customers a customized experience for researching, reserving and following their Fiesta."

Apparently the gimmick has done pretty well so far. I put my name in the reservation system, just for fun, although I really want a new car before the summer.

As for the car itself, it looks pretty good to me. The 5-door comes in around 160" long, and its fuel economy rating is 30/40. It's said to be quite roomy inside, and it has very good vehicle dynamics. It has pretty good iPod/iPhone integration with Sync (although there's a thread here about some people having trouble with 3.x iPhone/iPods). It also has some pretty nice safety features, including stability control that includes an "anti-nibble" system that is apparently focused on managing the car at highway/interstate speeds, and a complement of 7 airbags as standard features at all trim levels. Push-button start, like the Prius, etc, is also standard. Otherwise, the electronic goodies are somewhat limited -- at least as far as I could see, there's no nav system available.

Also of interest is that Mazda is bringing a Mazda2 version of the same car to the US, which will probably be even nicer (although, knowing Mazda, will somehow manage to get 30mpg on the highway :rolleyes: ). But it's not due for a while, sadly.

Anyway, the arrival of the car in the US has been written about a fair amount as one of the more promising signs for the domestic marques. It's "late to the party" in some senses, but then the Toyota and Honda cars have never had any appeal to driving enthusiasts, and the late to the party approach worked very well for Ford in other cases, such as when the Escape came out. Hopefully it'll be a win for them.

(Note, as e pointed out, the new Fiesta initially went on sale as a 2009 model in the UK; it will be an early 2011 model this summer, when it makes its US debut).

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
My wife has just got a Fiesta Zetec 1.25 here in the uk (I wrote off her Renault Clio). So far I'm very impressed with it. Works quite well with my iPhone, though the connection lead from ford isn't very good (too short, quite inflexible and iPhone doesn't sit very well in car).

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
The 2011 Ford Fiesta? Looks exactly the same as the one released here last year I think. So make it the 2009 :p

Ford generally make pretty good little cars (at least they do for the UK, don't know where they're actually made these days).

Top Gear frequently rate them very well, for inexpensive cars I think this speaks volumes.

Now you all need to dump your F150's and hop on the funny little euro car Ford Fiesta bandwagon! Oil crises solved! :D

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
I have had the new Fiesta in the UK for about 8 months now and it is a great little car. I only wish I got the Zetec S rather than the standard Zetec, upto 3rd the car had more than enough grunt, it just lags a bit when you get into 4th, the Zetec S I drove had that kick.

My only issue had been with the dealer. He lied to me on at least 2 points (plus I think there was a third).

If you are looking into one of these and are thinking about iPod / iPhone integration be careful. I went with the Bluetooth option and was told it would play audio back. Oh no it doesn't! You can make standard Bluetooth phone calls through the car but not play music, you been the USB + Bluetooth option for that at an extra £100.

If must only be a firmware issue that prevents this but it is a bit annoying.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
As for the car itself, it looks pretty good to me. The 5-door comes in around 160" long, and its fuel economy rating is 30/40. It's said to be quite roomy inside, and it has very good vehicle dynamics. It has pretty good iPod/iPhone integration with Sync (although there's a thread here about some people having trouble with 3.x iPhone/iPods). It also has some pretty nice safety features, including stability control that includes an "anti-nibble" system that is apparently focused on managing the car at highway/interstate speeds, and a complement of 7 airbags as standard features at all trim levels. Push-button start, like the Prius, etc, is also standard. Otherwise, the electronic goodies are somewhat limited -- at least as far as I could see, there's no nav system available.

Also of interest is that Mazda is bringing a Mazda2 version of the same car to the US, which will probably be even nicer (although, knowing Mazda, will somehow manage to get 30mpg on the highway :rolleyes: ). But it's not due for a while, sadly.

Anyway, the arrival of the car in the US has been written about a fair amount as one of the more promising signs for the domestic marques. It's "late to the party" in some senses, but then the Toyota and Honda cars have never had any appeal to driving enthusiasts, and the late to the party approach worked very well for Ford in other cases, such as when the Escape came out. Hopefully it'll be a win for them.

I know what you mean about Mazdas. I love Mazda, and my last three cars have all been Mazdas. But that mileage drives me crazy. It was painful watching my 6 only get about 25MPG on the highway, while Honda's V6 Accord was getting 30 or so. Even the two Proteges I have owned haven't been that good on MPG. I think it's mostly due to their gearing. The 02 Protege is around 3500-4000 at 70MPH. The 6 is around the same RPM range. It seriously needed another gear on the manual. What can I say, though? The driving experience made it worthwhile.

Anyway, I was thinking the Fiesta was the size of the Mazda3. I guess it's closer to the Honda Fit, though. I hope the Fiesta succeeds this time around. It looks like a really good car. Ford seems to be on a roll, and I hope they do well. I'm actually considering a Fusion for my next car. I like the SHO, but it's a bit porky for my tastes.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
Fiesta is probably the best of the small cars, but how many Yanks will actually buy a car this small?

The Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris seem to be selling well, so it may do OK. The Fit actually surpassed Honda's sales goals. None of the cars in this class will ever sell like the Honda Accord or Toyota Camry (300-400k/year), but I think they will do ok. I find it interesting that both of these models seem to be hitting the extremes: high school/college students and empty nesters.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I might pick one of these up, the base model is only $13k and after watching top gear with the earlier model it seems like a pretty decent car. This coming from someone who has owned only muscle cars since 16. :eek:

Now if only they would change the name. :(

I really like the green one.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The 2011 Ford Fiesta? Looks exactly the same as the one released here last year I think. So make it the 2009 :p

Fine, fine, I'll modify the title. :p

Anyway, I was thinking the Fiesta was the size of the Mazda3. I guess it's closer to the Honda Fit, though.

It's quite a bit smaller -- about 17-18" shorter. There's not that much interior room difference, though.

Fiesta is probably the best of the small cars, but how many Yanks will actually buy a car this small?

As Steve said above, the sales of the Fit and Yaris are encouraging. There's the Mini too -- we'll have to see how many, but particularly if Ford ends up tricking the Fiesta out like it has in the past with the Focus, the Fiesta has much more potential to pick up drive & handling customers.

EDIT: In other Ford news, they (and Toyota) were buoyed by big gains in the US market in December, of 33% for Ford and 32% for Toyota (link). Ford's numbers were driven in large part apparently by strong Fusion and Taurus sales. Honda and Nissan also did quite well for themselves, while GM and Chrysler had declines that exceeded analyst expectations.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I really just love the fact that is comes is that sweet magenta color. :D

The fiesta is a good little car, I'm glad to see it finally making it's way back state side.

In other Ford news, I cannot wait to get my hand on a 2011 Mustang GT. :cool:

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
It's quite a bit smaller -- about 17-18" shorter. There's not that much interior room difference, though.

EDIT: In other Ford news, they (and Toyota) were buoyed by big gains in the US market in December, of 33% for Ford and 32% for Toyota (link). Ford's numbers were driven in large part apparently by strong Fusion and Taurus sales. Honda and Nissan also did quite well for themselves, while GM and Chrysler had declines that exceeded analyst expectations.

That's kind of like the Fit. It has about as much room as the Civic due to its design. I still find them a bit cramped, though. Even my Protege is feeling cramped these days. BTW: Am I the only one who thinks that even with Fiat's help, Chrysler is doomed? DOOOOOMED!!

In other Ford news, I cannot wait to get my hand on a 2011 Mustang GT.

Me too. That I can be rollin in my 5.0, with my ragtop down so my hair can blow. The girlies on standby waving to say hi.

Uhh, sorry about that. I don't know what happened. I would like to sincerely apologize for inflicting Vanilla Ice on innocent MR readers.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
BTW: Am I the only one who thinks that even with Fiat's help, Chrysler is doomed? DOOOOOMED!!

I'd be happy to be wrong, but I foresee the same thing that happened to DCX happening again -- 5-7 years from now, Fiat's market capitalization is going to be pummeled, they will ditch Chrysler at a loss, and then they will be stuck with the task of pulling themselves out of the mess. :eek:

Although, the Fiat 500 is cute. I just wouldn't buy it if it had a Chrysler badge.

Uhh, sorry about that. I don't know what happened. I would like to sincerely apologize for inflicting Vanilla Ice on innocent MR readers.

:D

oogieboogiex

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2009
Toronto
From all I have read the Fiesta is quite the little car... Ford has a strong advantage bringing a small car over from its Euro market, because it does have a strong rep (and Fiat has such a bad rep in NA). That and they don't have to spend time designing/tooling up a small car really helps.

If we're lucky maybe Ford will revive SVT or let Roush and Shelby have at it with the Fiesta... I know if I was shopping for a small car, I'd be all over a 01-03 SVT Focus...

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I'm sorry, I just can't take a car called Ford Fiesta seriously.

Have to say, I'm disappointed Ford didn't go with the concept cars name Verve, whilst every Fiesta dating back to the Mark IV has been a fine car, suffice to say that the name has acquired some unwanted and undesirable baggage over the years.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
It should be noted that the US model of the Ford Fiesta shares only 60% commonality with the European version--the US version has slightly longer bumpers to meet NHTSA safety rules, a different headlamp design with built-in turn signal lights, no fog lamps in the lower front bumper (though I think Ford may offer them as an option), a somewhat redesigned front dash (to meet NHTSA safety rules), the Ford SYNC car stereo system and unique to US Powershift dual-clutch automatic.

I can see the Fiesta being a HOT seller, especially since with the consistently high price of fuel and the new EPA fuel economy mandates we could see a lot of Fiestas on the streets of the USA by 2012.

Here's the comparison between the US and European models:

2011 US model:

2011_ford_fiesta_us_leaked_images_main.jpg

Current European model:

first_drive_2010_ford_fiesta_images_main.jpg

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Shome mishtake, shurely?

I meant mostly that, at least with respect to the US spec, the Mini is a lot faster than the Fiesta -- the engine Ford is starting the Fiesta with is plenty adequate, but it's in the 9-10s 0-60MPH range (also FWIW in the US, the base Mini with the smallest engine isn't available -- only the Cooper, Cooper S, and even more tricked out versions)....

If we're lucky maybe Ford will revive SVT or let Roush and Shelby have at it with the Fiesta... I know if I was shopping for a small car, I'd be all over a 01-03 SVT Focus...

Somewhere, I read that numerous outfitters are already chomping at the bit with customized versions of the Fiesta, even if Ford does not do SVT.

Ahh. Detroit News link

Detroit News said:
H&R Special Springs of Bellingham, Wash., created its version of the Fiesta by using Sticky Jewell custom graphics, custom Euro-style hood vents, blacked-out headlamps and a Ford Custom Accessories upper rear hatch spoiler. It installed H&R Street Performance monotube coil-over suspension with height-adjustable shock absorbers so it could fine-tune the relationship between the Fiesta wheel wells and a set of 18-inch OZ SuperTurismo GT wheels.

3dCarbon of Newport Beach, Calif., and FSWerks of Anaheim, Calif., bolted on an FSWerks Stage 2 turbocharger and 2.25-inch exhaust system to boost performance of the Fiesta's 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine. They also installed a 3dCarbon aero body kit that includes a front air dam, side skirts and lower rear accent trim.

Ford Racing and Steeda Autosports of Pompano Beach, Fla., also got racy, with a Steeda cold-air intake, Borla/Ford Racing Performance cat-back exhaust, Steeda/Ford Racing suspension, Ford Racing Euro wheels and Brembo brakes.

Ford Custom Accessories did the fourth souped-up 2011 Fiesta to showcase its own parts portfolio. Ford Custom Accessories and Ford Racing Performance Parts will offer accessories for the 2011 Fiesta.

"We'll offer a variety of appearance and performance accessories so customers really can make their Fiesta their own," said Ford designer Melvin Betancourt. "The possibilities are endless."

Hopefully, some of these will turn into readily available packages.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
From all I have read the Fiesta is quite the little car... Ford has a strong advantage bringing a small car over from its Euro market, because it does have a strong rep (and Fiat has such a bad rep in NA). That and they don't have to spend time designing/tooling up a small car really helps.

I would just like to see Ford let whoever worked on the European Focus RS get a hold of this Fiesta. I wish they would bring that model to the US. I'm a sucker for a hot hatch.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/112_0902_2010_ford_focus_first_drive/index.html

I noticed that RS doesn't look much bigger than the Fiesta? That article lists 3300lb as the curb weight and 103.9in for the wheelbase on that Focus RS. What are the numbers on the Fiesta?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.