2011 vs 2010 iMacs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jmw1480, Jun 8, 2011.

1. jmw1480, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

jmw1480 macrumors member

I am deciding between the following two new (not refurb) iMac stock options:

a) 2011 iMac 27" 2.7 GHz i5 2500S processor. ~$1649.
    b) 2010 iMac 27" 3.2 GHz i3 550 processor. ~$1396.

If I've compared correctly, main differences in the upgrade are a newer series (Sandy Bridge) and better version of the processor, improved graphics (AMD), and Thunderbolt. A full spec comparison can be found here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4504-5_7-0.html?tag=mncol;comp&id=34662592&id=34139835

No matter what, I'm going to upgrade w/ 2 x 4gb third-party RAM (for a total of 12gb) initially, then if i need to upgrade further later I'll swap out the 2 x 2gb.

Besides year model recommendation, I am also contemplating adding on an SSD to complement the 1 TB HDD it comes with to use as a boot-up/app drive.

Some things I'm considering (besides cost of the hardware and install - since I wouldn't do it myself - and time/effort vs. benefit):
    a) brand? Intel, OWC, Vertex, Crucial, Corsair (in my consideration order)... the only reason I listed Intel first was I hear it's easier to upgrade the firmware w/out having to go through a Windows conduit. OWC may also have something coming soon. And they seem to be most aware of the aftermarket Mac business.
    b) generation? If I get the newest iMac, should I also get the newest SSD? SATA III (i.e. Intel 510), or Intel 320 no matter what for reliability and the fact that I probably won't notice a difference. Does any other computer spec matter when deciding?
    c) size? Could I really max out 120 (or even 60?) gb on the OS and apps?
    d) when? I know this is a new medium and cost is still expected to drop further, but I'm thinking out of the box before I start downloading apps and installing whatever is the best time to format, clean install, etc.

Of course, I know to ME, my uses (web, mail, photo, music, Office, basic stuff), and relative to what we have now (two PowerPC G4s), I'm already going to be blown away. I don't want to overkill, but also would like at least a few generations of use before going obsolete (my Quicksilver is only recently un-updatable, and it gave me 10 YEARS!).

Any opinions, recommendations, etc. would greatly be appreciated.

2. mackage macrumors 6502

You would be fine with either. I, personally, would go with the brand new model. I don't like the idea of buying refurbished for one simple reason. There are TONS of people returning their iMacs for yellowing on their screens which Apple has failed to remedy and won't remedy. Therefore, I have no doubt that these returns are being resold with no screen replacements. In my eyes, you have a better chance of getting a yellow screen by buying refurbished.

I started down this road a few months back by buying a 2010 2.93ghz refurbished and all three I received after returning 2 had yellow screens in areas. After the third one, I returned it for a full refund. I won't buy a refurbished iMac again.

3. jmw1480, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

jmw1480 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the advice. And the warning about screen yellowing. Has that not been an issue with the 2011?

4. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

Big issue with the 2011

5. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

I just received my May 2011 27 inch i7 iMac with the AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB graphics.

I love this machine-I have not encountered any problems with it. I do not have any screen yellowing, so this has not been an issue with me.

6. hipsigti macrumors member

2011 21.5 inch base model screen is flawless no issues with yellowing.