2011: Year of the copycats.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lPHONE, Mar 3, 2011.

1. lPHONE macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

 It's so sad to see all you copycats put all that effort and wasted resources into ripping off Apple and making iPad knockoffs- and for what? You were caught up for two whole weeks, only for Apple to release iPad 2. Now you have to start all over.

 I don't care what the iPad doesn't have- I don't need it. If you want a Kindle that's fine, go buy one, but we here are Mac users and we're accustomed to having beauty and simplicity merged together in a familiar format. Garage Band and iTunes are luxuries that are nowhere to be found on PC Tablets. You can add all the ports and buttons you want, but you can't have iTunes and you sure as hell can't have App Store.

 If you can get Zoom to work for you, more power to you - but you're not changing anyone's opinions here. You can convert a PC user to Mac but the same cannot be said in reverse. Everyone is copying Apple for a reason. Whether you'd like to admit it or not: It's simply better.

 So keep on copying Apple if it makes you happy... By the time you get "caught up" again, Apple will just release something better. If I were you, I'd try to invent something original. Zune, lol... Rock on.

2. Shivetya, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2011

Shivetya macrumors 65816

However, caught up? Really, your not serious are you? A presentation while pretty but full of lies and half truths. Yeah, Stevie can do no wrong, well he can't get it right either.

The only advantage I see in the iPad are some of the Apps, but Apps are appearing on the Android side very fast which makes me leery of buying a loaded down iPad because the truth is, this new one is behind the hardware times before it goes on sale.

Lets see..

There already are two tablets shipping in volume with dual core processors.

Apple does not have 90% of the market, they can only make that claim if they compare their numbers only to tablets their same exact size.

Xoom has better resolution, more ram, expandable storage, better cameras with flash, and oh, it supports Flash.

Then consider that the numbers of new tablets with different sizes and the like to appear this year will put a lot of pressure on Apple. I see this generation of iPad as merely a money soak. Rely on the fanboi mentality so that most early adopters buy a new one and hope that iPad3 isn't obsolete hardware on day one. I really think this one was pushed out to give them more time to be really spectacular on iPad3

As for copying, tablets have been around for many years. Apple just made a better mousetrap, the problem is there are a lot of other people who can do the same.

I may end up with both a Xoom and iPad but overall the Android market excites me more than the Apple App Store which is driving lots of good developers and products away with its draconian requirements

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Here's a couple of quote for some perspective
    Steve Jobs "Good artists copy; great artists steal."
    "We've Always Been Shameless About Stealing Great Ideas"

So While your post smacks of fanboism, clearly apple is not beyond copying/stealing ideas. The whole graphical interface for the Mac is one. Widgets in OSX is another blatant example where apple ripped off an idea. Just look up konfabulator.

First the product is Xoom
    Second, nobody is really trying to convince anyone here that a non apple product is superior, its like trying to spit in the wind. The fanboys come out and blindly attack anything non-apple.

While I like my iPad and haven't seen the xoom, being android it will easily and definitely allow people to work. Just as android phones do for the general public. I know plenty of people, non-techy types that opted for the droid and love it. So the android platform is a stable and robust platform that users can use to get their work done. This blind ranting is not surprising here but really unneeded.​

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

That is like saying paintings have been around for years and Rembrant just used better shadows.

The "tablets" that preceded the iPad were full fledged computers, running full fledged OSes, weighting multiple pounds that required a stylus. They have zero in common with the iPad. Apple gave birth to an entirely new product category, one that other manufacturers are now feverishly trying to mimic.

You say "a lot of other people can do the same." The thing is, to date, no one successfully has. There is no one product that has yet to really compete with any of the "i" devices. I'm not talking about an OS, I'm talking about hardware. For all the hype the Xoom is getting even Gizmodo is calling it "half baked" in its new review.

So, yes, until someone can produce an innovative, usable, widely desirable, i.e., not just geeks and nerds, tablet, they are doing nothing but copying Apple.

5. blipmusic macrumors regular

Rationality: Why use it when you can just throw out what equals a tabloid front page in terms of meaningfulness. Go internet.

This is the first year we even have tablets as a uniform platform concept from different makers. Are we seriously going to do another Windows vs Mac OS style crap-fest on this? Or is it that you need to reassure yourself that your purchase was money well spent by looking down on those who did not choose the same as you?

I had to read an article for a thesis a few years ago. The author of said article is widely referenced but made alot of very simple mistakes noone who'd studied the subject in question should make. These mistakes were not all related to the topic but to the subject in general. Then again it certainly dented my respect for this researcher. Now I see this article has been edited and re-printed with the weird examples and mistakes taken out completely as part of a article collection published by a well known academic publisher. Problem is, why should I trust the edited article anymore than the original? The damage is done. In a way, I'm glad I read the original because now I know to be cautious next time.

Forum posts work in much the same way.

I need to find myself a quiet, deserted island somewhere for the next year or so until this has played out.

6. davidcmc macrumors 6502

I stopped reading here.
    "PC Tablets"? Serious?
    Is that fanboyism so intense that made you this retarded?

Did you read again what the **** you wrote?
    That's it: this kind of Apple dumb fanboy is just... Dumb.

Mac X PC is one thing, but iPad X PC Tablet shows how destituted of knowledge you are.

Stop talking about all Apple competitors as "PC manufacturers", that makes you... Did I say retarded today?

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

2011 - year of more than tablets, I hope

Personally, I'm waiting for Apple to enter the kitchen computer market, which is currently dominated by PC makers like HP... but without a proper underlying touch OS.

Kitchen computers use voice input, touch, keyboard. They need the ability to act as a home status dashboard, note taker, video player, TV, home control, picture frame, whatever.

Windows 8 is starting to look interesting on the touch UI front. Keep an eye out; could cause a major shakeup in kitchen and tablet PCs.

Finally, I cannot post without of course bringing up the HTC Flyer with its active pen. Brilliant, as always. HTC innovates where most companies copy.

8. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    What's funny is that back in 2009 everyone KNEW that Apple was making a tablet so all the big time companies had plenty of time to make tablets of their own. I remember hearing rumors of all the companies under the sun with tablets under R&D. Then there were tablets popping up all over the place at CES 2010. I was afraid that Apple would be late either release their tablet after somone else, or maybe Apple would be first out the door but then everyone would unleash all their tablets throughout the whole year.

But that wasn't the case... in fact only one real tablet was released in (late) 2010, the Tab. It's funny because Steve really hit it on the head when he said the iPad left everyone reeling and back to the drawing board. All their tablets were probably thick, heavy, and all kinds of awful things. Then Apple showed them how to do it...

9. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

No. More like people waited to see if the iPad took off before jumping in and spending millions of dollars on product development.

Apple is no stranger to making products that fail and go nowhere (see the late 80's and early 90's).

It would be pretty stupid of me to blindly try to beat Apple to the market if they suddenly announced that they were going to be making and selling turd-burgers. History has shown that most people will not buy turd-burgers. If Apple can show that there is a market for turd-burgers *then* I might consider starting my own line of them.