2012 11" Macbok Air or 2011 13" Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Shakenbake158, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Shakenbake158 macrumors member

Hey guys, I've got the itch to buy something again, and I'm not sure what will suit me best. I have a gaming desktop, and a Thinkpad W520, but I want something that is more sleek, and easier to use around campus.

I was originally thinking the 11" MBA, but I recently found a good deal on a 2011 13" Pro, and I am not sure what I should do.

I like the fact that I can upgrade the ram and HDD in the pro, but I'm not sure if the added weight will be worth it.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

2. MeUnix macrumors 6502

Personally, I would go for the MacBook Pro because you have the option to upgrade RAM and HDD if you wanted too. As far as the weight goes, the 2012 11" MBA weighs 2.38 pounds, whereas the 2011 13" MBP weighs 4.5 pounds (not a huge difference)

3. Shakenbake158 thread starter macrumors member

I love the idea that you can upgrade the RAM and HDD, but I already have a Thinkpad W520, and I am not sure if I want something almost as heavy, but it is a lot more sleeker.

What about the 13" Air? I know its not upgradeable, but I feel like it would be a good in between.

4. MeUnix macrumors 6502

I'd go for 13" Air over the 11" Air, mainly because I don't l prefer the size of the 11", but that is just my preference. They're both excellent computers, but I'd still go with the MacBook Pro if it was me making the decision.

5. Shakenbake158 thread starter macrumors member

I think I'm gonna go for the MBP then, I might see if I can find a good deal on a 2012 version. I might even think about looking for a 2012 15" and selling my Thinkpad.

6. HIMAN1998 macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

If you want a combination of lighter weight and power, look into the Retina 13" MacBook Pro. Keep the ThinkPad unless you are gonna bootcamp Windows, and use the ThinkPad as a backup, or as a machine to use in a situation where you don't want to risk breaking the MacBook. ThinkPads are very robust, I had a T500 before my MacBook. I traded the T500 for the MacBook and spent $50 to put a few things into it. But, if you keep the ThinkPad, it can be a "throw around" machine, or for a friend/younger family member to use (I'm around my little cousins a lot, they dropped my T500 once, no problems). Plus, better to have something to use if you need to send the MacBook in for service or something.

7. Shakenbake158 thread starter macrumors member

I would love to have a Retina MBP, but I can't afford it, it's just too much money.

8. Shakenbake158 thread starter macrumors member

Does anyone have any other recommendations on whether or not I should get the Pro or the Air?

9. cherishzm macrumors regular

13" mba

Based on what you described in your original post that you want something that is more sleek and easier to use around campus, I'd definitely recommend getting a Macbook Air (only 13" as I found 11" is not practical). Not to mention the form factor, MBA has a better screen and quicker with the SSD.

Since it'll be your 3rd machine, I'd not worry about upgrading RAM or SSD but go with the base 4GB + 128GB and that should be plenty for your needs to use it around campus for homework and etc.