2012 11" Macbook Air - Soft Key Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by xxtoni, Nov 16, 2013.

1. xxtoni macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I've been thinking about whether to open this thread or not for a while. First of all I want to say that I absolutely adore my MBA which is why this is bothering me so much.

Most of the time I use my MBA wired into an external display with an Apple wireless keyboard and external mouse so most of the time this is a non-issue. But one of the reasons I went with the 11" is because of the insane portability that it offers so I really want to have the ability to use it in cafes or wherever. I also plan to write a lot on it and this is really the big issue.

I'm not sure how long this has been going on but writing on my MBA has become much harder as of late. I didn't notice it that much before because I guess I didn't have a point of reference but since I started using it with the external keyboard I noticed how much easier it is to type on it.

The best way I know how to explain is it that the keys have become soft. They're not as clicky as they used to be and as they are on my external keyboard. My brother also bought a MBA 11" at the same time I did and I just tried typing on his MBA. I'm not sure if typing on his was easier or if I was fooled by the texture of his (the keys on mine have become shiny, if you know what I mean).

Anyway for me this is an issue because typing on the Air fatigues me. You have to press the keys down really hard.

As far as possible solutions go, I've tried canned air, which frankly felt quite weak so I used an air compressor as well but to no avail. I was almost sure that it was dust or dirt underneath the keys causing it. After blowing it out with the compressor I just assumed that it wasn't powerful enough to clear the dirt so I decided to remove one of the problematic keys (most are by the way, it's not an isolated problem. Anyway I tried to remove one of the keys and there was no dirt or anything underneath, it was almost perfectly clean.

Perhaps the best way to describe it is that the MBA keyboard just isn't' as responsive as the wireless one.

Has anyone else had this issue or is it that the keyboard on the MBA is just different and harder to type on than an external keyboard ?

Thanks in advance everyone!

2. Fallingreason macrumors newbie

because you didn't notice until you had another keyboard to compare it to, and also because you didn't notice any dirt under your keys my guess is that you have just noticed the difference in feeling between the MBA keyboard and other's with more travel and beefier build quality.

The little rubber domes under the keys are what give the "spring" and "click" to the keystroke. The macbook air keyboard is low profile which means the domes have to be smaller as well. Smaller domes = less rubber = less able to provide a strong spring. I use a apple wireless keyboard while at home and it feels much different than my MBA keyboard. There is a a lot more "pop" when the keys come back up.

I do not know why you feel like the MBA keys are harder to press, they should be easier.

One thing I have done to make my MBA keyboard feel better is use a Rearth Verco keyboard cover. It is the only cover I have used which adds more "spring" to the key press. Particularly with the MBA. If you value your typing experience, for $15 its worth a shot.

3. xxtoni thread starter macrumors newbie

For some reason I didn't get a notification of this even though I had instant email notification enabled so I forgot about it.

Yea hard to press may have been the wrong word. More like you have to press them harder to get the key to register, something like that.

I do have a bit of OCD so it may not be that big of an issue for someone else but I noticed it and it bothers me.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it.