2012 13" cMBP wakes from sleep FAST!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SR71, Jul 3, 2012.

1. SR71 macrumors 68000

I'm just now realizing this, but the 2012 13" cMBP's wake up from sleep FAST! It's literally instant-on, and not the kind of instant-on that will show everything thats on the screen, but not allow you to move the mouse or anything for a few seconds while everything is "waking up", this is REAL instant-on.

The lid is closed and after a few seconds it enters sleep mode. I open the lid and boom its already ready to go!

Is everyone's MBP like this?

This is a HUGE difference when comparing it to my brothers Windows laptop and my parents Windows PC, which takes 10+ seconds to wake up from sleep and become usable.

I'll post a video of this tomorrow.

NOTE: This is without an SSD in. I can't even imagine how fast this would be with an SSD. I have a baseline MBP, specs are in my sig.

2. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

This is pretty much normal, the mac copies the session to RAM and is put in a low power state to maintain the RAM session.

3. DrJohnZoidberg, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012

DrJohnZoidberg macrumors member

OS X 'Sleep' is not the same as Windows 'Hibernate', so nothing is copied to the HDD/SSD and consequently an SSD will not improve wake-times, but yes, with an SSD in my 2012 15" cMBP it wakes freakishly fast. Everything is fully functioning before the lid is open even a small amount. It is so fast I've become a bit paranoid that it's not really going to sleep; I keep trying to catch it out...

This is big difference even to my last (windows) notebook, which itself was SSD equipped and only two years old, and would take five seconds to work-out where it was and what it should be doing, then another ten seconds before the wifi was functioning.

There are some people complaining that their rMBPs are taking upwards of 30 seconds to wake from sleep, but I think this is more likely something that they've installed rather than an intrinsic problem with the rMBP.

The "session" is already in RAM, where else would it be? On a boat half way to Bogotá? :p

4. biohead macrumors 6502

Lightening fast too here... although it's exactly the same as my 2008 Alu Macbook in that respect.

5. Laco macrumors 6502

My 2007 Macbook turns on from sleep almost instantly and I don't even have an SSD.

6. DiGriz macrumors newbie

An SSD will have little-to-no impact on wake times as all data remains in RAM (unlike Windows' Hibernate feature - where everything in RAM is copied to the HDD).

7. iamdavekennedy macrumors regular

Seems like you and I are the only ones feeling this, I came from a 2009 15" MBP and everytime it woke up I'd have to wait around a minute for it to be useable, greyed out screen with progress bar always appeared etc.

I've got the exact same programs on this as I had on my previous system and no more wake up time, so I definitely agree with you that it's something to shout about!

8. TheDutchGuy macrumors member

TheDutchGuy

Was thinking the same thing about my 2012 cMBP... Maybe it's because I was used to the slow as hell Acer Windows 7, but this is just schweeeeeet :D

9. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

Haha respect for including the 8x superdrive in your sig

10. titanflyer macrumors member

I wonder if the 13 MBP can stay in sleep mode for 30 days or whatever they say the air and rMBP can do? That might be the difference...

11. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

What does cMBP mean? Configured? Why the usage haha

12. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

People is starting to add letters in front of MBP when the retina MBP release. I understand it's alright to differentiate from 15'' MBP and rMBP but what's up with all these letter. People must think that their custom made MBP is better than the base or pre config models.

I will call my MacBook Pro a SDHAMBP from now on.

SDHAMBP = Super Duper Hyper Awesome MacBook Pro.

13. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Just curious, why the need to differentiate the 13" with c or l or u? It's not like there's a Retina 13" model or anything, they're all 'classic' or 'legacy' or 'unibody'.

14. DiGriz macrumors newbie

Preemptively? But yes, it's totally redundant on the 13" at the moment.

15. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

My 2010 11" Air was horrible at waking from sleep. Screen would show up but useable cursor and WiFi took at least 5 seconds or more...which seems like forever. I tried out ML DP4 on it just before I wiped the drive to sell it and that solved all the waking problems. Once I wiped the drive back to SL in order to sell it "as new", the problem was also gone.

My new 2012 11" Air with Lion is very fast and instant, as is my RMBP. My 2008 13" Alu MacBook is fairly good also. The 2010 Air was just horrible but I think it was only after Lion was installed.

16. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

You would see a progress bar every time you woke it from sleep? I have a 2008 MBP and that's not normal. It would take a couple seconds to go from the login screen to the desktop, but that's it. Makes me think maybe there was a problem somewhere on your old computer.

17. Mizzou02RS macrumors member

You know, I never thought about it before, but after trying it out myself just now, my MBP wakes up way super fast as well! :)

18. iamdavekennedy macrumors regular

Well it did end up electrocuting me through a pair of headphones, wiping a hard drive and frying a USB port in the end so I don't disagree with you, however it always took a while to wake up, even when it was new!

19. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

I learned from another thread that it stands for classic MBP, which is quite a bit easier than typing 'non-retina MBP'. cMBP is much easier and faster. :)

----------

My 2010 13" Air did the SAME exact thing as your 11". It was pretty damn annoying, and that's one of the things that made me create this thread. I remembered that my 2010 13" Air used to lag after it woke from sleep and wouldn't connect to wifi for at least 5 seconds along with the cursor not moving for a few seconds after being awoken from sleep, so when I got my 2012 cMBP and opened the lid after it was "asleep", it was amazing to me.