2012 13" Floor Model at Staples - Good Price?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MacPoulet, Aug 27, 2013.

1. MacPoulet macrumors regular

So I noticed my local Staples didn't change over their floor model to the 2013. I asked the sales staff how much it was and they didn't believe me it was last year's model. Had to show them on "about this Mac"

Eventually they tracked it down and it's selling for $850 (base i5). The 2013 13" is $1100. I do qualify for edu pricing so the savings isn't quite $250, but is it a decent deal? What do you guys and gals think?

Nice thing about a demo unit is it's already scuffed so there's no point in obsessing over it... :)

2. Doublea6 macrumors regular

Doublea6

Well I know best but was having a great sell for students where you could get a new 2013 air for $899. Haswell is a great update, but I believe the 2012 MacBook Air was just as fast as this years, just without the superb battery life. I'll have someone else comment if it is a good deal though.

3. MacPoulet thread starter macrumors regular

Was that for the 11" or 13"? Also, I'm in Canada and we didn't have nearly as good a price at BB.

4. Doublea6 macrumors regular

Doublea6

I've only really looked at the 13.

Changes off of my head:
    Battery life
    Faster wifi (need a new router though)
    Intel Hd graphics 5000
    Some ssds are faster (the larger 256 is faster)

5. Jpeppard macrumors newbie

The 250 off isn't worth it if you consider the battery has not been properly conditioned over it's lifespan and the parts have hundreds upon hundreds of hours of wear.

Seems like a headache waiting to happen.

6. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

No, because you can get an open box one (2013") at Best Buy for $899-$949, depending on location. Also, they have that $100 off coupon for college students so if you have a .EDU email address or know someone, you can obtain that coupon and get a brand new one for $949.

If the Staples one was maybe $700, yes. Anymore than that, no.

EDIT: Didn't see the Canada part, so I'm sure if my point is valid.

7. imjoee macrumors 6502

imjoee

I got mine from BB 13' base 2013 for 899

8. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

Those floor models tend to not last as long in my experience, wouldn't pay that much

9. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I wouldn't touch a floor model, especially a year old one. I agree with those saying either go Apple refurb on the older model or Best Buy Open Box, and of course you can buy brand new from Apple with the EDU discount.

10. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

i wouldn't buy it... you can get the 11 for 850 and the 13 for 1050 with the student discount. a million people have used it...

it's not a total ripoff or anything, but for the same price you could get this year's 11"

11. magbarn macrumors 68000

For a banged up machine like that, I wouldn't pay more than $700 + tax tops.

12. MacPoulet thread starter macrumors regular

Good replies. Thanks so much for your input!

I'll swing by in a month or so, after the back-to-school crowd has died down a bit and see if they'll haggle.

Not that I'm in need of a new MacBook Air, as I'm still putting my 2010 model together (waiting on a "new" battery) and it'll serve its intended use just fine.

13. Aylan macrumors regular

Aylan

I wouldn't get it if I was you. It has been used and abused constantly for however long it has been a display item. Get the student deals and get yourself a new MBA. HD5000 is well worth the upgrade. If you do not mind waiting, Apple will have good deals once the 2013 refurbs start showing up.

14. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I agree with the others about not getting it. Worked at an electronics retailer for 7 years and saw how poorly customers usually treated display models. After seeing that, I would never buy one of them, ever. I remember one display model computer where I worked someone decided to spread their chewed gum all over the keyboard! I mean, WTF?!

15. old-wiz macrumors G3

floor model computers tend to get pounded upon by small childen. Do not buy a floor model computer, no matter what vendor or seller.

16. MacPoulet thread starter macrumors regular

Wow. I guess things have changed since I worked retail ten years ago. We always watched the powermacs and PowerBooks like hawks.

I'll steer clear, unless I can get it for a song, preferably a Michael Bublé number.