Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
Hi all, I am looking at getting an external display for my new MBP and am looking for some suggestions. I like how the apple display have all the ports and the magsafe to power the laptop but I really dont want a 27" and I also dont know if I should get the thunderbolt or the cinema display model if I do go that route. I woud really like to get a 24" that would do the same thing but I dont see where apple has one available and I dont know if they had the magsafe,etc if I could find a used one I thought was worth purchasing. I also would be interested in any other displays I suppose and would appreciate suggestions. I would really like to spend less than $500 but I am willing to spend the extra with the apple just to have the convenience of the connections... Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions....

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Hey,

I also have the same MBP as you, and have it connected to an external display most of the time.

With regard to Apple displays, maybe someone with a longer history of using Apple computers can give you a better answer, but this is the monitor I've inherited and pair with my MBP.

http://www.cinemaview.com/product/cinemaview-24led-display

It's obviously not as nice as the Apple's displays, but it is still pretty decent. There are probably better options out there, but it works quite well with my 13"
2012 MBP.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
Hey,

I also have the same MBP as you, and have it connected to an external display most of the time.

With regard to Apple displays, maybe someone with a longer history of using Apple computers can give you a better answer, but this is the monitor I've inherited and pair with my MBP.

http://www.cinemaview.com/product/cinemaview-24led-display

It's obviously not as nice as the Apple's displays, but it is still pretty decent. There are probably better options out there, but it works quite well with my 13"
2012 MBP.

That looks NICE!!!! and better for my budget too.. I have seen where people have problems with the MBP waking up when closed using an external display, do you have any issues? I was just reading and saw a few comments about it and now am worried about having that issue. Thanks!!!

Edit: also, does the cinemaview have built in speakers? thanks again...

Last edited:

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
That looks NICE!!!! and better for my budget too.. I have seen where people have problems with the MBP waking up when closed using an external display, do you have any issues? I was just reading and saw a few comments about it and now am worried about having that issue. Thanks!!!

Edit: also, does the cinemaview have built in speakers? thanks again...

Do you mean having the MBP plugged into an external display, going to sleep, and waking it up again while still connected to an external display? If so, then no I haven't had any issues.

The CV does not have any built in speakers, but it does have 4 USB ports on the back.

Hope that helps.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
yes, that was what I was worried about. thanks again for everything... I suppose I need to look a some speaker options, do you use speakers on your desk or do you have a sound at?

pabloalvar

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
Hi!
I have this display, it's very cheap for the quality... u might want something better, but here is the info:
SAMSUNG SyncMaster S24B300 . LED 24''
It's the one I use on my MBP 13'' 2,53 gHz coreduo2 4GB RAM

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
That CinemaView display looks really nice. If it has good image quality than its a winner for sure.

There are, however, a couple of things one might miss from the ATD:

1. Thunderbolt, Gigabit Ethernet, & FW800 connectivity from the back of the monitor makes the ATD an awfully convenient dock, especially for the eventuality of the rMBP.

2. Lack of Mag-Safe power cable.

As for using a display like the ATD to turn your laptop into your desktop, the wife and I are loving that solution. It's way better than us each having 2 separate computers, and saves me (the family IT guy) a decent amount of maintenance work. The one issue that we're having is related to a bug that sometimes prevents the laptops from waking from sleep properly in clamshell mode. It's pretty well documented and there's no fix thus far from Apple of which i am aware. The workaround is to reset your SMC when it happens (which for us is 2-4 times a month).

Monitor speakers are so terrible as to be superfluous anyway. We ended up getting a HiFiMan HM-101 USB DAC off of Amazon and plugging that into the back of the ATD. Plug a decent set of amplified speakers into that and you'll get VASTLY better sound quality than that from the internal Apple soundcard and monitor speakers (or any other speakers that you would plug into the laptop directly). The first time you use it, and after any PRAM reset, you'll need to set the laptop to use that soundcard for output when you're connected to the display, then it will remember anytime that it sees the soundcard connected to use that. The HM-101 was $40 and well worth it.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
well, I made my decision last night and ordered... ended up buying an ASUS PA248Q
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008DWH00K/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00
I read reviews and it seemed to be a good choice, along with havingan amazon 10% off code and rebate on monitor I ended up being able to get the
Asus display, Apple wireless keyboard, Apple magic trackpad, mini displayport to displayport cable for a combined total of $415 shipped. I just felt like I was getting the most for my money that way along with getting an ips display,usb 3.0 ports and an hdmi port. I hope I made a good choice and I wouldnt mind hearing from anyone who has or is familiar with the display and your thoughts on it....

zwerggalaxie

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
Hi Pablo,

I have the same display and a MB Air 13". Could you share your settings? I am crazy with the calibration stuff from Apple.

Thanks!
Jorge

Hi!
I have this display, it's very cheap for the quality... u might want something better, but here is the info:
SAMSUNG SyncMaster S24B300 . LED 24''
It's the one I use on my MBP 13'' 2,53 gHz coreduo2 4GB RAM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.