2012 13" MBP or 2012 MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phas3, Jun 19, 2012.

1. phas3 macrumors 65816

So I bought a new 13" MBP a few days ago, but now I'm thinking maybe I should have gotten the MBA, what I planned to do with my MBP was to get 8-16gb ram and maybe upgrade the HDD to an SSD later. It will mostly be used for regular college stuff, photo editing raw images and occasional run parallels or bootcamp to play some games.

So the question is keep or go Air? Future proof I plan to keep it for 2-4 years.

2. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

3. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

If it's the performance - SSD and RAM that you're really after - the air is a far more expensive way to go about it. However, the air does indeed look lovely and tempting.. I may have to go for one one day

4. Mizzou02RS macrumors member

Keep your MBP...you will still have the option to upgrade it later on down the road if necessary.

5. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

I'd move to the Air. Get 8GB of RAM and a decent SSD. The screen is also much better. It's sad Apple didn't even upgrade the MBP display to be on par with the Air's. There's almost no screen real estate.

6. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

Are the new airs user upgradable still? Not like the rMBP? I do like the look of the MBP I havent like the air design for some reason.

7. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Apple changed up the connector on the SSD. OWC is working on updating their offerings, but as of now there isn't anything available.

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The airs have non-upgradeable RAM and a non-standard SSD that is physically replaceable (but there are no compatible models to buy yet). Same as the Retina MBP.

9. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

I think that just made it clear for me, I'm going to keep my MBP and upgrade to 16gb and get an SSD.

Is there an enclosure that I can use for the 500gb storage in my MBP already?

10. athletejmv macrumors member

Went from MBA to a MBP

What I decided to do is purchase the base model MBP 13". I then purchased a 240GB SSD in-store from Compusa for $209. I then ordered 8GB of DDR3 1.6Ghz memory from Newegg.com for $55 since bestbuy did not have the 1.6Ghz memory speed in stock. In total, I spent $1100 for the MBP, $209 on the SSD and $55 for the memory totaling $1364 plus tax on the SSD and MBP.

I am very pleased considering I have 6-8 hours of battery life easy from the SSD upgrade, the fan does not become loud when watching netflix as it it did on my MBA (this was my greatest appreciation), I have the CD slot for movies (I use a 23" IPS external monitor at home with the MBP) and the speakers sound much better in the pro considering the MBAs do not have a built in sub-woofer as the pro does.

I hope this helps. Regardless of what you decide, I'm sure you'll be happy.