2012 13" MBP with Thunderbolt Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Azzin, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Azzin macrumors 68040

Hi folks,

I've got the above setup and I use the MBP in clamshell mode and just use the TB display for viewing.

I was thinking about getting either the Griffin Elevator or the Rain M Stand to sit at the side of the TB display, but I'm unsure if it will give me what I want, which is to be able to use the MBP screen as a secondary display.

I want to use the TB display as my main 'Mac' (so I have the Dock etc displayed on it), but be able to drag stuff over to the MBP screen.

I can't work/find out if that's possible. I've just tried it with the MBP lid open and it appears that will I can have the TB screen in full 2560x1440 res, but the main 'Mac' screen is on the MBP and the the TB display is just a secondary (empty) screen.

Or am I missing something/have done something wrong? :eek:

Cheers all and Merry Chistmas to you. :)

2. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

You can have it so the dock and menu bar appear on the TB display. Go to System Preferences > Display > Arrangement. From here you should see the 2 screens (TB and MBP screen). Simply drag the white bar from the MBP (smaller) window to the TB display (larger) window.

Hope this helps.

3. bogatyr macrumors 65816

I use the rain stand - works great next to my TBD. Used it with an Air, 13" MBP and now my 15" rMBP.

4. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Thank you both, I'll have a play with it later.

5. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

You sir (or madam), are a star.

I've just done exactly as you described and my 'main' Mac screen/Dock is now on the TB screen and the MBP screen is indeed now an 'extension' to the right.

I'm off to order a Rain stand! :D

Thanks again.