2012 13"rMBP = 2008 Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AlvinNguyen, Oct 23, 2012.

1. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Anyone else feel like this is exactly like what they did with the original Air?

Perhaps in 2 years they will finally give us the specs we want - quad core, dedicated GPU, and 16gb of RAM.

For now, the 15" rMBP is a much much better buy. I can't see the 13" selling out like the 15".

2. Dreamail macrumors 6502

Yeah, I was wondering the same.

What exactly does the new 13" rMPB offer over the Air appart from the ludicrously priced retina display?!?

Still don't understand how Apple managed To include an Nvidia GPU in the 12" PowerBook yet can't seem to manage in the 13" MacBook Pro.
    A Pro device with Intel integrated graphics is only semi-pro IMHO.

Shame.
    Gonna pass on this one.
    Might as well wait for an Air with retina display.
    Apple, back to the drawing board!

p.s.
    The 13" MBP is Apple's biggest seller. With the new price-non-performance-ratio are they just out to milk, aka piss-off everyone?
    Not sure I get their thinking. Are they deluding themselves?!?

3. AlvinNguyen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I bet you they're gonna pull an "Air" move in 2014 and make it right with everything it should have came with for $1199.

4. unobtainium macrumors 68000

I think we might not have to wait until 2014. Haswell will feature much more powerful integrated graphics, and I'll bet Apple will include a larger SSD in the standard model and the ability to upgrade RAM. I have a feeling it's best to wait for the second-gen on this one.

5. leecbaker macrumors newbie

I think you are spot on. While I was going to buy one today, the specs leave me dissapointed. I was really hoping for a quad core as a BTO option since there is one in the appropriate power envelope, but it seems they are really trying to sell people on the 15" RMBP.

An alternative theory is this- since they know there will be tons of demand for a RMBP13, almost no matter the specs, they are better off selling one with a bit lower specs (and higher profit margin) to the early adopters who will buy any 13" that is an upgrade over the MBA, and then increase specs in the second generation.

6. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

The late 2008 Air also had a Nvidia GPU lol.

7. AlvinNguyen thread starter macrumors 6502a

sigh, sad day for those waiting for a retina 13" macbook. I actually think the CPU is fine, it's the GPU and lack of 16gb ram upgrade (really?!!)

Everyone editing massive images in photoshop and those editing videos will know what I'm talking about - this is a PRO machine that PROs will have a hard time using.

8. Dreamail macrumors 6502

You might just be spot on with that one.
    Though it could be a lame upgrade still.

Some people reported that early Haswell GPU tests did not perform as promised.
    No idea if that is true but I bet Apple knows already.
    So if Apple with the next upgrade does not intend to upgrage with a dedicated GPU but Haswell only and this performs lackluster they need to provide other candy, like a 16GB RAM option, quadcore CPU and more storage.
    Which is why they removed those options now.

But those 3 might be all we get in the next upgrade...

----------

With all the ultrabooks copying the Air, I bet Apple will one-up them with the next Air model.
    It'll be noticeably thinner and lighter than current Air models yet again.

Carbon fiber?
    iPhone 5 like super-thin screen?
    iPad mini like super thin battery?
    ARM based CPU with Intel compatibility mode?

9. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

People say this every time they hear about a new intel processor! A few months ago it was "wait till ivy bridge its graphics will be amazing" At the end of the day they are not up to par compared to dedicated GPUs... Yet! But we are a long way off.

I have the last 13" pro w/ dedicated graphics (2009) and i'm replacing it w/ the new 13" rMBP - I don't use it for video rendering or gaming so I don't need it.

I paid $2200 for it 3 and a bit years ago, so although I would prefer the new one to be cheaper I was prepared to pay it again.

10. AlvinNguyen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just curious at what configuration did your 13" MBP cost $2200 new in 2009? That sounds insane and well into 15" range.

11. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

That will never (!) change. Of course the next version will be better, but the speed in which the integrated GPUs improve does not surpass that of dedicated GPUs -- at best it's the same. Time doesn't stand still and wait for iGPUs to catch up.

So even if we were to wait for haswell, broadwell or whatever the next next chipset will be; it'll always be below even the cheapest dedicated desktop GPU.

12. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

2.53Ghz core 2 duo w/4GB ram and a wopping 250GB hard-drive. That was the price of the 13" macbook pro when it was first released. Still the best computer I have ever owned and still going strong. The best part about it is it is still the current body so it's resale value is insane!