2012 15" cMBP possible Hard drive failure?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by noodile, Oct 1, 2012.

1. noodile macrumors regular

Alright so a week ago my time machine couldn't backup my HDD had some issues with it. A few days later, the boot HDD partition failed. After 4 hours of trouble shooting and numerous failures of trying to fix it I put it in target disk mode and got my info off of it. During which time I tried repairing it a few times using disk utility on the iMac. First 2 times were failures. Third time it worked perfectly and fixed my HDD.

So I got back to my place. Installed windows on my second partition and that was it.

Today. Out of no where I went to open chrome. It took like 2 minutes to open (usually takes like a second). After which the entire cm outer froze. I tried to force quit it. Didn't work. So I lEt it sit for an hour and it was still frozen. So I shut it down. And it never booted since. It can't read the osx partition nor the windows. Nor the recovery partitions.

Took 15 minutes and all it can do is boot n internet recovery. It can even see any of the partitions. Just the main HDD and that is unverified and it cant tell any info about the hdd other than the total capacity and the main name.

So. Do u think its toast. Or would it be possible to wipe and reinstall osx?

I scheduled an appointment with a genius bar tomorrow. But its almost 3 hours away

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Yes, it happens. Since HDD's have moving parts, especially notebook drives, which are super fragile, it might cause bit errors on the drive.

Your best bet is for the Genius Bar to replace the drive and reinstall OS X for you.

You can also call Apple and ask them to send out a hard drive and you can replace yourself (It's called DIY), but I doubt you'd wanna do that. It's easier if they do it.

3. noodile thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info man. Depending when my GMAT test ends. I ll try to head down to the apple store after it and see if they can replace it rather than wipe it.

I just remembered that there was like a popping or crackling noise coming from the right side of the Mac yesterday for the first time. That might have had something to do with it

4. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

These drives have "parking" positions on the heads, so it's a rare occurrence that they will be damaged through moving...but if there is a huge impact, that might do it.

There is a sensor in the MBP that parks the heads when it moves at a certain speed, called SMS (Sudden Motion Sensor).

It might take a few days for you to get back the laptop, though. Genius Bar is pretty good.

5. noodile thread starter macrumors regular

Well I went to the apple store today. The guy hooked it up to their system and did a hardware check and everything checked out. Then he tried internet recovery and the Mac crashed. Then he tried reinstalling osx. It failed. So he gave up and said the HDD is just damaged beyond repair and that they will fix it under warranty

Unfortunately since my MVP was bto. They didn't have the 750gb 7200 rpm in stock. And neither a 1tb. So they're ordering the part and I should pick it up Thursday or Friday.

PS: I showed him the logs from when it crashed last week and he pointed out a line and said that it usually means physical damage. I have the logs if anyone is interested