2012 15-Inch Non-Retina Video Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DELFONIK, Jun 14, 2012.

1. DELFONIK macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. I'm going to be purchasing a MBP soon, and I was wondering if I could get some assistance.

I am leaning toward the 15-inch, non-retina MBP, specifically the model priced at $1799 ($1699 student), which has the 512MB Nvidia GT 650M card.

I would prefer the 1GB card, but that option is only available on the more expensive model.

My main use, video wise, would be a program called Serato Video, which has minimum requirements of "Nvidia 8400 or better or ATI 1650 or better". With Serato Video, I will be displaying music videos on a secondary display, typically at 640 x 480 resolution. Secondary use will be using Photoshop, mainly for flyer design, and also some minor video editing with iMovie and similar programs.

Will the 512MB be sufficient? I won't be doing any gaming on this machine, but at the same time, I would like to have everything I need for the above.

Thanks!!

2. simsaladimbamba

The 512 MB model will more than suffice for your stated needs, even my 2008 MacBook could do that, and Photoshop is still not that GPU dependent.

3. DELFONIK thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply!!

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It just needs a minimum of 512 for OpenCL functions. I do wish they would put at least 1GB in a computer of that price so that it would meet the recommended specs of 1GB for more programs.

5. DELFONIK thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I'm going to go ahead and get the 1GB card. Thanks.