2012 15 Inch rMBPrs - When are you going to upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nickbarbs, Jul 27, 2014.

  1. nickbarbs macrumors regular

    Nov 26, 2009
    Hi Guys

    Just curious for the 2012 old school rMBPers ;).. Have you got the upgrade itch yet?

    I'm trying to spur a discussion to help me decide how to feel about being 2 years down the line and still pretty happy with this computer, yet balancing my desire to upgrade my gear. After all, we're looking at 2 years since it came out... and I have some extra cash laying around. It is tough not to look at upgrading the macbook for the latest and greatest but it's equally tough to justify the money spent when this thing still performs brilliantly and the screen tech itself hasn't moved much..

    i've got the 15 inch 2.6 / 16 with 512 gb ssd.. what would an upgrade get?

    - Better graphics card discreet + integrated, for possibly smoother scrolling?
    - Cooler running CPU
    - PCIE SSD
    - ???? Profit?

    Personally, I am waiting to see what the 13 inch model of 2014s looks like, as the form factor of the 15 is great for home use but could be even lighter for travelling.

    When is this beast of a machine ready for an upgrade? Am i just being silly for trying to upgrade because it was so ahead of its time when it came out? I could always be running slightly smoother.. First world problems. When will you upgrade your 2012 RMBP?
  2. karen999 macrumors newbie


    Sep 12, 2012
    your machine is still a beast even today, needless to say.
    Wait until the next redesign of form factors on RMBP, or until that day 13 RMBP runs faster than yours.
  3. Cuesca, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014

    Cuesca macrumors member


    Jun 20, 2012
    My rMBP still runs everything pretty great actually:

    -modern Windows games like Wildstar

    If I were to upgrade it would probably be 13 rMBP because eventhough my rMBP 15 makes a great desktop replacement it is just too unwieldly to carry around. That being said I don't see myself upgrading until 2017. When I do upgrade however I expect my setup to be like mainly:

    PC Desktop running Arch/Windows ugh 9? and rMBP 13/11.
  4. sonicrobby macrumors 68020


    Apr 24, 2013
    New Orleans
    I will probably keep mine until it dies! :D But Im still looking to downgrade ASAP to a 2014 13" rMBP once they are released. The 15" runs strong and will do so for a good while. I just looooooove the form factor of the 13" rMBP and every time I see one I want to buy one. I'd buy one now but with a refresh (hopefully) a few months away, I feel like it would be best to wait for a newer model.
  5. Voodoofreak macrumors regular

    Jul 7, 2012
    Mine is the early 2013, but I consider it part of the same batch as 2012. I'm keeping mine for a couple more years as it is running extremely well. My nephew will be starting college in 2 years, so I'm thinking of passing it down to him. Time will tell. :)

Share This Page