2012 15 MB Pro Integrated Graphics and Nvidia listed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Scomac, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Scomac macrumors newbie

Hello,

Never noticed this before as I just assumed integrated graphics (I think you can guess my level of computing knowledge and usage style, power up and forget, from this!). When I looked into the system report out of interest I noticed the Intel graphics as expected but also an NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M listed. Now does the computer use both of these or only one at a time that I have to physically select? The "About my Mac" window just lists the integrated graphics and only in the fuller system report do I see the Nvidia card listed. I never realised this and I can't remember this being specced when I bought the computer?

I'm not sure whether one is better than the other in use?

2. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Your Mac automatically switches between the Intel integrate chip and the NVIDIA one based on the applications you are using. By default your Mac will typically use the integrated graphics card. It only kicks in when you attach an external monitor or an Application requests it. The NVIDIA 650m has more computational power but it uses more power thus diminishing battery life faster.

Only one graphics card will be in use at any given time.