2012 15" MBP - 2 monitors?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andymac2210, Jul 24, 2012.

1. andymac2210 macrumors regular

I'm going to be getting the 2012 base model 15" MBP.

I basically always run my MBP onto a 24" external display when I'm in the house/office.
    However, I'd really like to use 2 displays since I do web/graphics work and am constantly tabbing between apps.

I know it's possible to daisy chain the TB monitors, but unfortunately I can't afford 2 (or even 1) cinema displays, so I'm stuck with my crappy samsungs for now.

Now, the MBP has USB3 ports, would it be possible to run one monitor off a USB3 port without any lag(I've tried usb2 before but it's really laggy)?

I don't really want to spend too much money on it, so things like the matrox are out.

Any suggestions?

2. Silono macrumors newbie

USB 3 is certainly fast enough to get the job done. It's about 10x the speed of USB 2.

3. andymac2210 thread starter macrumors regular

Does anyone know of a USB 3 to DVI adaptor that doesn't require installing drives or crap?

4. gentlefury macrumors 68030

rMBP has 2 tb ports.

5. andymac2210 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't want a rMPB, I can't replace any of the components and I still value user upgradeability.

6. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Might want to consider a new brand than. This is the new reality.

7. blazeken996 macrumors member

What he says is true. This is the path we're heading to, heck even I think one day everything will be processed on servers and we're just holding screens.

8. andymac2210 thread starter macrumors regular

I'd prefer not to live in 1984, thanks.

Syncing information in the cloud works great and is quite useful, but the idea we'll just be using terminals, to which access can be cut off at any time by all powerful global corps or governments, scares me.

Long live local storage I say.

9. defektion macrumors regular

To answer the OP question,

For USB 3.0 to HDMI/DVI, Display Link is currently in the works developing drivers for the DL-3XXX chip for OS X. There is no definite date when this will be released.

There is also the MSI Gus II that allows you to have an external GPU hooked upped to the thunderbolt port, release date is unknown.

There is also the Matrox DuelHead2Go, Sapphire vid2x but this isn't true dual display, instead if takes 2 monitors and fakes it as 1 monitor with a very wide resolution.

You can spend $$$ on 2 Thunderbolt displays and daisy chain them together or get the rMBP and have 3 ports that can output to 3 displays.

The options for dual display on the cMBP is very limited at the moment and currently only the USB 2.0 to HDMI/DVI is the only option.

Hope this helps.