2012 15" MBP Retina Reviews

Blu-Ray

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Colorado
Anandtech has started reviewing the new retina Macbook Pro and here are two things that stood out for me so far.

Some good news:
Diablo III is actually quite playable at 2880 x 1800, at least in the earlier levels (I haven't had time to make it far enough in the game to tell how bad it can get). I managed to average 20 fps at 2880 x 1800 in the most stressful scene I have presently unlocked. Obviously things are smoother at lower resolutions. Diablo III exhibited some graphical anomalies at 1920 x 1200, but was fine at other 16:10 resolutions.
Some bad news:
The SSD in the next-gen MacBook Pro is physically removable similar to the drive in the MacBook Air. The drives aren't interchangeable however and I'm not sure if the two even use the same physical interface.
I'm sure other sites will provide reviews and more detail over the next few days but this is the most concrete I found so far.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
Even if the SSD isn't the same as the MBA one, I'm sure someone will be selling one that does work before long. So upgradable storage is probably still a possibility.

Blu-Ray

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Colorado
Even if the SSD isn't the same as the MBA one, I'm sure someone will be selling one that does work before long. So upgradable storage is probably still a possibility.
I'm hoping so but there is also a chance that Apple is using something completely proprietary. Looking forward to the iFixit teardown!

Stotka

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
I just want to know if it still burns your crotch! Its the only downside to MBP!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.