Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snoflewis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
So...I need a new computer and I'm going to be switching over from pc to a mac. I initially had my mind set on the base 15" MBP refresh coming out in a few weeks, and realized that currently, the specs for the 15" MBP and the 21.5" iMac are rather similar, with the price difference being $600 or so. I initially planned to get an mstand, apple keyboard + numeric pad, which would cost another $100. with the money i "saved" going w/ the imac and not buying the 15" MBP, I was thinking about getting the 13" MBP refresh when it comes out, so I actually have a laptop.

im gonna be using the computer(s) for light gaming and video editing, i'm also getting into digital photography so i'll be learning to use some adobe software.

what do you guys think?
im leaning toward the imac + 13" mbp over the 15" mbp at the moment considering the imac and 15" mbp are pretty similar. of course we're gonna have to see once the new refresh models come out, and i realize that the imac isnt as upgradeable. thanks in advance for your thoughts!

macrominnie

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2010
There's still some unknowns right now. It's not known how much time they'll between the release of the 15" MBP the 2012 13" MBP & iMac. We also don't know how upgradable any of them will be, especially the MBP's. We hope the 2012 MBP's will upgrade friendly like the current ones, not like the 2011 MBA hurdles in swapping RAM & hard disk.

From what's described, my guess is you could do fine even now with the 2011 13 MBP, as well as the larger models. With similar demands, the 13" seems fine for me. The early 2011 MBP's are a better bargain, since the late 2011 bump wasn't much. Check out barefeats and some of the benchmark sites.

http://barefeats.com/mbps05.html

What about getting a nice external monitor & a new 2012 MBP if you like the specs. Whether you go large or small MBP, the screen real estate of a nice monitor (esp IPS instead of TN) is great. Even a 23" monitor is a step up. That way, have a large viewing screen, portability, and flexibility in using the monitor with future models.

tears2040

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
One thing to remember is with recent advancements in Hd Video cameras your going to be wanting a good graphics card in your computer, while the MBP 13" is pretty good you must remember it really does not have a quality graphics card.

My suggestion is to wait a month as the new Imacs should be out by then....

snoflewis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Buying 2 machines at the same time and having to replace both isnt much of a concern because assuming the machines last that long, I can always leave it at home for my mom to use since she only streams videos and emails.

I've also considered getting the 15" and a nice monitor, but that would cost around the same as the iMac and 13". and to be honest, i'm limited on desk space at the moment due to certain circumstances.

the only issues right now for me is if the new mac machines are going to be upgradeable. i plan to throw in an SSD in the 13" (assuming they dont come with one already) and upgrade ram in both machines. if upgrading ram isn't possible in the new mbps, that might change things up a little bit.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Should get the MBP 15 and a 27" LCD. A 27" LCD takes up less space on your desk than an 21" iMac + 13 MBP. Of course if you are not going to use the MBP on your desk and your desk is really that tiny you don't have a choice. Having a desktop and a laptop might seem nice but a lot of times it is not that practical. I find myself doing most of my work on my laptop even though I have a Mac Pro since it is annoying to make sure the work environment is the same on different machines.

Last edited:

snoflewis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Should get the MBP 15 and a 27" LCD. A 27" LCD takes up less space on your desk than an 21" iMac + 13 MBP. Of course if you are not going to use the MBP on your desk and your desk is really that tiny you don't have a choice. Having a desktop and a laptop might seem nice but a lot of times it is not that practical. I find myself doing most of my work on my laptop even though I have a Mac Pro since it is annoying to make sure the work environment is the same on different machines.

if i get the imac + 13 mbp, then the mbp wouldnt be on my desk. although i have been hearing from multiple people that maintaining two computers is kind of a pain.

tears2040

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
if i get the imac + 13 mbp, then the mbp wouldnt be on my desk. although i have been hearing from multiple people that maintaining two computers is kind of a pain.

Once again I repeat.... the MBP 13" DOES NOT have a quality graphics card.

snoflewis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Once again I repeat.... the MBP 13" DOES NOT have a quality graphics card.

I know it doesnt. Hence the imac. The 21.5" currently has the same gpu as the base 15" so that would be my main with the 13" being my portable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.