Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hberthier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2015
Hello guys...

Someone offered me to trade my 2014 13" rMBP for a nMBP 2012 15" i7 (2.7ghz) bought in 2013 plus a little money.
The question is: Would you guys do the trade? I love the retina screen but sometimes I feel that I need more juice as I work with Photoshop and Illustrator + several web pages opened. I normally work with external monitors also, with macbook in closed clam shell mode.

Will this i7 + the opportunity to put 16GB instead of my actual 8GBs be a true advantage to me, will I feel the macbook reeeeally snappier? Would you guys do this trade?
My retina is still in warranty and I'm sure this 2012 isn't... the chance of components failure in 2012 nMBPs are high or they are still rock solid machines?

ps: in Brazil, specially now, the US$ to BRL conversion is like 1 BRL to 3 US$, so the recent 15" retinas are not an actual option right now. Also, Apple doesn't sell refurbs here.

andeify

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
UK
It would appear slower as the cMBP only has a HDD rather than an SSD but you will have more processing power, you could put an SSD in it with the money you get which would make it speedy.

Can you live without the retina screen?

or

Can you live with the current processing power of your 13"?

I don't think the failure rate is any different. personally I wouldn't go back to non-retina.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.