2012 15" RMBP vs 2014 15" RMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mstgkillr, Oct 25, 2014.

1. mstgkillr macrumors regular

I have a 2012 15" RMBP 2.6 GHz 16GB 512GB and I'm thinking of upgrading to a 2014 15" 2.5 GHz 16GB 512GB... Is this a worthwhile upgrade? Will I notice a difference? What are the differences? I can make it happen for about $700 out of pocket... Let me know what you think.

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Not worth it. You're not getting that much of an upgrade for $700 out of pocket. Your only difference is a barely faster processor and maybe a small GPU upgrade. That's really not worth the price at all of $700

3. terraphantm macrumors 68040

^ What he said. I don't plan to upgrade until the next refresh.

The only thing I wanted from the new model was faster wifi, so I went ahead and retrofitted the BCM94360CSAX to mine. Still have the old card in a drawer in case I ever need to get the laptop serviced

4. nickbarbs macrumors regular

I personally can't justify it either, as much as i have the cash and love upgrading my computer every 2 years the 2012 RMBP is still a great machine for me so I will also wait one more cycle.

I need a bigger boost in GPU Upgrade on the discreet nvidia graphics side before I'll upgrade.. and something new on the screen side, the screens have been the same for all this time also.. Yosemite has made things extremely smooth (after a bedding in period) and I can't find a reason to upgrade right now.

N

5. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

I was just thinking about this. I also have a 2012 MBP (2.7/16/756) and was thinking about upgrading.

From what I read, the main difference is the SSD, it is a PCIe based flash storage in the 2013/14 vs SATA in the 2012. There is also the processor, graphics card bump and a faster wireless 802.11ac. There may be more, but from what I read these were the main differences.

I decided not to do it because it's faster, but only marginally faster. I likened it to a Porsche Turbo and a Porsche GT3. They're both pretty fast and you likely won't be able to tell the difference or drive it fast enough to test it. :)

6. Nr123*123 macrumors 6502

I understand your analogy but the car geek in me won't let it slide. The 911 GT3 and 911 Turbo are two different cars aimed at different things. The former is a track ready race day car, the latter is an everyday supercar. The correct analogy would be between the Turbo and Turbo S.

7. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

LOL, the way I drive, I would not be able to tell the difference. :D

ps. if I had the money, I'd buy the GT3. :D

8. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

I did upgrade. But only because Apple replaced my rMBP under AppleCare.