2012 15" rMBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by childoftheko4n, Jul 18, 2013.

1. childoftheko4n macrumors regular

Hey all,

Talking to someone on craigslist with a 15" rMBP for sale.

Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
    Hard Drive: 500 GB Flash

He is asking 1900, and it is very tempting to jump on it. They go for what, 800 more new for that? Cant decide tho! Want to work it down a bit but dont want to lowball either..

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

16GB RAM, 512GB SSD seems like a good price for it, Id maybe offer 1800 or 1850 and see if theyd go for that. If not then I would probably jump on the 1900. I bought mine for $1800 and that was with 8GB of ram and a big scratch on the bottom, and i still feel like i got a good deal.

But im skeptical of the graphics. From what I know all 15" rMBPs also come with NVIDIA 650M graphics with 1GB of GDDR5. So either he has his stats wrong by not including the dGPU, or it might just be a cMBP

3. childoftheko4n thread starter macrumors regular

good call on the graphics,i have asked for verification on that. He also has already come down to $1700 so i feel like its a no brainer.

The only hesitation is probably because its on craigslist. I have never bought a used computer. Ive sold my mac before, but never bought one..

4. childoftheko4n thread starter macrumors regular

So i got a screenshot from the computer, its indeed retina but only 512MB? o_O

He is also pretty solid at 1700.

5. childoftheko4n thread starter macrumors regular

so nows its really just a matter of

used: $1700
    2.6 GHZ
    16GB Ram
    512MB dGPU
    500SSD
    fact that its used..

new: $2000, plus $100 itunes giftcard and il wait for tax free weekend
    2.4 GHZ
    8GB Ram
    256 SSD
    brand spanking new out of the box
    18 months financing with no interest..

6. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

If you don't need 16GB RAM or the extra .2 GHz on the CPU, go for new. I personally have sold tons of Macs through Craigslist and mine are generally immaculate, so CL isn't always bad ;)

I have a 2.7, 16GB, 512GB rMBP that I picked up open box from Best Buy for $2000 plus tax. I haggled with them and they let me take it. So, you might have some options besides these two.

7. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Damn thats good. What you should do is ask to meet up to be able to use it and inspect the exterior for scratches and stuff. I bought both my macbooks used, one from ebay and one from craigslist. Both were as stated in the details. I would still recommend the used one, because its cheaper and a bigger bang for the buck.

I guess I wouldnt worry about the graphics. Technically all retinas have the 512 HD 4000 graphics too. But google how to identify if there is a dedicated graphics card in a macbook, so you can double check if you go to look at it.

8. ConanV, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013

ConanV macrumors newbie

Buyer Beware

All 15" rMBP are equipped with HD4000 and 650M (1GB DDR3 RAM) graphics. While $1700 is a great price, be mindful of the problems associated with that generation of system. I'm not fully aware of all the issues, but the panel is one of them. Compare 2013 vs 2012 changes (aside from performance upgrades) - they were made for a reason.

Below is an article on image persistence.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/17/retina-macbook-pro-users-still-complaining-of-image-persistence/

Does your perspective rMBP have Applecare? If within the 1 year limited warranty (from purchase date), you can still purchase Applecare from Apple.

You may have a great deal on your hands - or a lemon. Beware and be prepared!

Do keep in mind the Late-2013 rMBPs are expected to be released with PCI-E SSD - this bus is far faster than SATA III, among other changes, consider the value proposition by spending another (anticipated) $1000 for a higher spec, established platform.

Cheers!

9. childoftheko4n thread starter macrumors regular

This, my exact concern. You just really never REALLY know with used. If its cheap i go that route, but when dropping over a thousand bucks...i feel like thats a gamble. When buying new from Apple at this stage in the game, it should be strictly 2013 models now right?

10. viggen61 macrumors 6502

"Used" doesn't seem a problem to me, particularly since the only moving parts are the fans and the hinge...

The used one is exactly the config I bought mine new with, 9 months ago, for a LOT more!

Think on this: You can NOT add RAM, internal storage or CPU speed to these machines after the fact.

Get the used one. Check it out thoroughly, but you're not going to beat that price.

:apple::apple:

11. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

From Apple, probably, best buy or other 3rd party sellers, not necessarily.

Even so, not all rMBPs have the issue, I have the 1st gen LG screen, which is the most prone to the image burning, and I have not seen the problem (yet). But as long as youre under warranty/applecare, apple will not have any problems replacing it.

12. childoftheko4n thread starter macrumors regular

I gotcha. You do get the extended period of time after the purchase to buy apple care correct?

And would you have any estimate on when the BTS promo usually ends. Id really like to take advantage of BTS and tax free weekend if i go the new route.

13. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

As long as you are still in the 1 year warranty, or within the applecare warranty, you can buy an extension. If any of it expires, I dont think they will let you buy applecare for that computer. (as far as I know)

And no idea on the BTS promo end dates, I want to say they lasted until september last year, just a guess though. They may have it posted somewhere on their site.

14. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

How do you haggle at Best Buy, teach me.

15. ceiph macrumors regular

"How do you haggle at Best Buy, teach me."

Be reasonable

Be Nice

obviously open box there is room to wiggle, brand new not so much best ive done on new is i got a customer a free trackpad thrown in.

if your buying alot/ geek squad they will do more on the hardware.

and last it always depends on the manager, i had some managers i could negotiate close to cost with, others wouldn't drop a penny.

source-worked at bestbuy

16. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Are you sure it's showing the Nvidia GPU info and not the built-in Intel GPU? The built-in should be 512MB, IIRC, so if the wrong GPU is selected in System Information then you'll be looking at the wrong GPU. Can you attach the screenshot showing the GPU info?

17. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

I just chatted up the sales guys in the computer area. I went in maybe around March and it was the beginning of an open box and clearance sale, where they were offering 10% off on top of the open box price. They were asking around $2200 for the latest 15" rMBP, 2.7, 16GB, 512SSD. I talked to the guy for a few and asked if they'd take $2k for it. They said no. I repeated myself that I would buy it on the spot for $2k. Again, was told no, but if they still had it at the end of the sale week to come back in and talk to them. I went back in the following weekend, found the unit and the sales manager I spoke with, and asked if they'd do $2k now and they said sure.

So, this is probably a YMMV situation, but it never hurts to be friendly and chat up the cooler sales guys/managers. I'm also a Silver Premier member (gives me 60 day return policy as well), so I flaunted that slightly (though I don't think that had anything to do with it - just pointed out that I spend like $2k-$3k a year at BB...)