2012 -2013 + Mac Concept

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ATDistinction, Sep 15, 2012.

1. ATDistinction macrumors newbie

Hi All, I had a random idea and I wish to get your opinion (positive or negative)...

Most, if not all of us would love a 27" Mac, up-gradable desktop GPU & up-gradable CPU. I believe this is not only possible but cheaper for Apple to manufacturer & continues along with their current movement of simplifying.

If we could imagine a new Mac that keeps what a iMac, Mac Pro & Mac mini is all about... How? Good question!

Why not update the cinema display to hold the desktop class GPU? The display is big enough to hold a full size card, much easier to cool & it would be easy enough to make it look the same / better and be opened & upgraded by the user.

Then if you owned a current iMac you have close to double the graphics power (theoretically), If you own a portable you have the desktop class video performance, if you own a Mini it would be the same deal as the portable and same for the Mac pro! Sure the display cost would go up, but it should lower the price point for computer hardware itself & YOU get to update when you want!

What do you think?

Could it be done?

What would you like to see moving forward???

I really cant see much of a down side...

Cheers,

AT:apple:

2. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Apple would prefer to make the iMac thinner than make it faster.

3. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

that's incorrect. While they love making things thinner and more beautiful. Taking the specs of a 2011 iMac and putting them into a sexier body and calling it the 2012 iMac would not sell well. They will have a balance between beauty and performance always. PC will always be performance and no beauty.

4. SinisterGoat macrumors newbie

As nice as that would be, it would most likely just cut into their already small number of iMac sales, so they wouldn't do it.

5. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

Would no doubt buy an iMac outright, if it had a desktop GPU. I would not mind if they removed the optical drive for that extra space.

6. the27thvoice macrumors member

You're suggesting taking the graphics card out of the Mac Mini and Mac Pro and putting it into Cinema Display? Great idea, assuming users would already buy Cinema Display. If not, it decreases the price of Mac Mini and Mac Pro by a bit and decrease their value by a whole lot.

Then again, if you suggest keeping the crap cards in the Macs and just have a whole lot better and upgradable option on Apple's own display, I'd say that's a win/win.